George K. Schoenberger Home (Scarlet Oaks) in Cincinnati, Ohio   Save
George K. Schoenberger Home (Scarlet Oaks) in Cincinnati, Ohio
Description: The Schoenberger House, better known as Scarlet Oaks and located at 440 Layfayette Avenue in the Clifton community of Cincinnati, Ohio, was designed by James Keys (also Key or Keyes) Wilson mainly in the Gothic Revival style. The blue limestone mansion with freestone trim was built for George K. Schoenberger, owner of Juanita Ironworks, and thought the date 1867 appears on the east gable, the huge castle was not completed until closer to 1870. Around 1910, it was converted into the Scarlet Oaks Sanitarium, an annex of the Bethesda Hospital, founded German Methodist deaconesses and is now it is called the Scarlet Oaks Retirement Community, owned by Deaconess Long Term Care, Inc. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_014
Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Sanitoriums; Health care facilities; National Register of Historic Places
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)