: Zenas King (1818-1892) built this house in 1847. It is an example of Greek Revival architecture. King founded the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio and invented the iron suspension bridge. The house has a temple front, rare west of the Cuyahoga River. It is noted for its portico supported by ionic columns and hand carved fretwork on the pediment, as well as its use of undersized bricks. The house still stands at 128 Center Street. The temple portico has an entablature with dentil detailing and a triangular gable known as a pediment. The tympanum, or face of the pediment, is decorated with shells and scrolls. Pilasters are found at the front corners and give the illusion of additional columns. The first floor windows are ornamented with anthemion, a conventionalized
leaf ornament which appears to radiate from a single point. The northern and southern wings give the house an asymmetrical appearance. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F11_033 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Dwellings; Milan (Ohio)--History; Neighborhoods--United States--History; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Milan (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio); Huron County (Ohio)