: This courthouse was built between 1871 and 1874, at about the same time that Steubenville was transitioning from a rural community to an industrial community. Heard and Blythe were the architects for this project. The roof and tower seen in this image were destroyed by a heavy snowstorm in 1950. Rather than replacing the courthouse or restoring the mansard roof, the tower was removed and the old roof was converted into a flat roof. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F11_002 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Courthouses--Ohio--History. Places
: Jefferson County (Ohio); Steubenville (Ohio)