: This photograph shows the famous doorway of Penn Tavern (note the sign on the door reading "C.V. Penn") in Middlebourne, Ohio, along the National Road. The National Road was the United State's first federally-funded interstate, built between 1811-1834. It connected the eastern states to the west and ran through central Ohio. Many inns and taverns were built to accommodate the travelers along the route. The Penn Tavern was demolished prior to November 8, 1996, having stood on the same site since 1842.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F07_003 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Inns; Taverns Places
: Middlebourne (Ohio); Guernsey County (Ohio)