: This photograph shows the round tower of the St. Raphael Church elementary school. This 3-story stone building, built in 1890, began as the United States Post Office with a construction cost of $150,000. Sometimes just called the United States Building, it was designed by Charles Creager in the Romanesque style. By 1898 the space had become inadequate and funding was received to begin renovations. An axillary station was established in the Crowell Publishing building until expansions were complete.
A new Post Office was built in 1934 at 150 North Limestone, which is probably when the old Post Office became the Saint Raphael Church elementary school. Formerly located on the corner of East High and South Spring Streets, the building was demolished in the 1960s to create more room for Parish parking. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F09_006 Subjects
: Springfield (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc; Roman Catholic Church; Post office buildings Ohio; Catholic elementary schools--United States Places
: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)