St. Monica Catholic Church photograph   Save
St. Monica Catholic Church photograph
Description: Reverse reads: "Cinci., O. Oct. 11 1937 St. Monica Church" Exterior front of St. Monica - St. George's Catholic Church, Cincinnati, Ohio. 328 West McMillan St., Clifton Heights / Fairview neighborhood. Completed in 1927, this early Christian Basilica style building was designed by Edward J. Schulte and Robert Crowe. It is made of gray limestone and instead of the conventional front entrance, a great crucification group, by Clement J. Barnhorn (who was award the Sax prize for this work in 1930), stands in bas-relief, extending across the main facade. The altar is marble, surmounted by a baldicino of pierced brass, on which rests a bronze figure of St. Monica, also the work of Barnhorn. A great mural on the apse dome has a background of pure gold relief, and was painted by Carl Zimmerman.. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_017
Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Catholic church--Ohio--Cincinnati ; Schulte, Edward, 1890-1975 ; Crowe, Robert Emmett, 1881-1944; Barnhorn, Clement J.
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)