: This photograph (ca. 1935-1943) depicts Union Bethel Chapel, with W.H. Kings's Saloon sharing the building with the address 30 Third Street.
To the left at 29 Third Street is Harry, Davidson & Co; Ship, Chandlery & Boat Stores and at 28 Third Street is Slimer & Raipe Meat Store. To the right at 38 Third Street is J. Giddings Ice, Vegetables, Can Fruits & Preserves.
Cincinnati Union Bethel was founded in 1830 as a religious and social outreach organization for riverboat operators. Itself initially run from a riverboat, CUB moored itself in 1871 to a block bounded by Front, Sycamore and Broadway, currently part of the site of Great American Ballpark. With the growth of manufacturing operations along Third Street, CUB shifted its mission to minister to single women and children working in the factories. A new five-story building at Third and Lytle, the Anna Louise Inn, was opened Memorial Day 1909 and remains in operation. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F01_032_001 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Architecture; Central Business Districts; Storefronts--United States--Pictorial works; Charitable organizations--Ohio--Cincinnati; Chapels--Ohio--Cincinnati--1920-1930; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)