Guilford School - Fort Washington plaque   Save
Guilford School - Fort Washington plaque
Description: Reverse reads "D. of A. Marker. On Guilford School. 4th. Str. East of Broadway." Plaque reads "Fort Washington. The ground on which this building stands formed part of the Fort Washington Reservation. 1789 - 1808. This reservation was bounded on the north by Fourth Street, on the east by Ludlow Street, on the south by the Ohio River, on the West by Broadway, which was then the eastern boundary of the city. This tablet placed by the Cincinnati chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in 1913." The Guilford School located at 421 East Fourth Street, at the corner of Ludlow Street was a public elementary school designed by Frederick W. Garber and completed in 1914. The four story brick building was named after Nathan Guilford, Cincinnati's first Superintendent of Schools in 1850. There is a D.A.R. marker on site which indicates that this area was once part of the Fort Washington military reservation. The building has since been converted to apartments. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F06_012_001
Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cincinnati (Ohio)--History; Fort Washington (Ohio); Daughters of the American Revolution. Cincinnati Chapter; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)