: Caption reads:
American Guide Photograph
Taken in the Duveneck room located on the second floor of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Eden Park, Cincinnati, Ohio. In the center is the memorial of Elizabeth Book Duveneck.
Among a large number of paintings by this Cincinnati artist can be seen: 'Young Girl With Dark Eyes'; 'Landscape, Poling, Bavaria'; 'Boy in Cloak'; portrait of Frank Duveneck, by Dixie Selden; 'Little Italian Boy'; 'At Anchor, Venice'; 'Girl in Black Hood'; 'Girl With Orange Shawl'; 'The Blacksmith'; 'Little Girl in Gray'; portrait of Mrs. Marie Danforth Page; 'Guard of the Harem'; portrait of John W. Alexander'; 'Blue Boy'; and a study of a nude; 'Whistling Boy'. Photo by Federal Writers' Photographer 12-17-36."
Cincinnati Art Museum
The Cincinnati Art Museum is located at 953 Eden Park Drive, in Eden Park. In 1880, Charles W. West of Cincinnati donated 150,000 dollars to the Cincinnati Museum Association to establish an art museum in the city. In 1886, the Cincinnati Art Museum opened, and became one of the leading art museums in the United States. The Romanesque Revival style building was designed by James W. McLaughlin. In 1881, the Cincinnati Museum Association convinced the McMicken School of Drawing and Design to relocate to the Cincinnati Art Museum. McMicken College later became the University of Cincinnati. The college agreed to turn over all operations of The School of Drawing and Design to the Cincinnati Museum Association. The school became known as the Art Academy of Cincinnati. Established in 1887, the academy has trained artists for more than a century. In 1998, the Art Academy of Cincinnati legally separated from the museum and became an independent college of art and design and has since moved to another location. By the early twenty-first century, the Cincinnati Art Museum contained works of art spanning more than five thousand years. Its holdings include works by Picasso, Matisse, and El Greco. The museum also owns a number of works by Frank Duveneck and other local artists.
Located between Gilbert Avenue and Columbia Parkway (U.S.) and comprised of about 185 acres in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio, Eden Park was assembled by a series of purchases beginning in 1859. The name came, naturally, from the Garden of Eden and was given by Nicholas Longworth who owned a large tract which constitutes the main portion of the park. Eden Park is the home of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Academy, the Navigation Monument, the Capitoline Wolf Statue, and the Irwin M. Krohn (Eden Park) Conservatory. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F07_014_1 Subjects
: Parks--Cincinnati (Ohio); Parks--Ohio--Cincinnati; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cincinnati (Ohio). Art Museum; Cincinnati Art Museum Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)