: Caption reads "This monument near Elizabethtown, Ohio, on U.S. 50, marks the primary meridian surveyed by Israel Ludlow of Cincinnati to form the west boundary of Ohio. It is assumed to be due north of the middle of the mouth of the Great Miami in 1789. By 1837 the line had to be resurveyed by a joiny (joint) Ohio-Indiana Commission which erected this monument to mark the boundary. This is not only the boundary line, but the Israel Ludlow survey determined the land holdings of settlers in the tract gained by Wayne's Treaty of Greenville with the Indians in 1795. thus the Ludlow survey extended to Fort Recovery, 69 miles north of the Ohio River. (copied from Enquirer, 9/10/39 - JFH)." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F06_020_001 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Monuments & memorials; American Indians in Ohio; Northwest Territory; Treaties; Treaty of Greenville; Ludlow, Israel, 1765-1804 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)