: Original description reads: "Cinci., O., Sept. 1937 Fort Washington Monument."
In 1789, Fort Washington was built to protect early settlements located in the Symmes Purchase in the Miami Valley of what is now southwestern Ohio. The fort was located in modern-day Cincinnati and protected settlers of that city in its early years. The stockade's walls were two stories high with blockhouses located at each corner. The fort was named in honor of President George Washington. In 1790, Harmar used Fort Washington to launch an expedition against the Miami Indians, whose principal city was Kekionga (modern-day Fort Wayne, Indiana). The fort would serve similar purposes for the remainder of the 1790s until the United States Army abandoned it in 1803. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F02_14_01 Subjects
: Fort Washington (Ohio)--Monuments; Cincinnati (Ohio) Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)