Aerial view of University of Cincinnati   Save
Aerial view of University of Cincinnati
Description: This photograph shows an aerial view of the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ohio's premier urban research university, the University of Cincinnati traces its origins to 1819. In that year, the Cincinnati College and the Medical College of Ohio were chartered. In 1870, the City of Cincinnati established the University of Cincinnati, which later absorbed the earlier institutions. For many years, the University of Cincinnati was the second oldest and second largest municipal university in the country. In 1968, the University of Cincinnati became a “municipally sponsored, state affiliated” institution, entering a transitional period culminating on July 1, 1977 when the University of Cincinnati joined the University System of Ohio. The University of Cincinnati is classified as a Research University (Very High Research Activity) by the Carnegie Commission and is ranked as one of America’s top public research universities by the National Science Foundation. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F04_09_01
Subjects: Aerial photography; College campuses--Cincinnati (Ohio); Architecture; University of Cincinnati; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)