Cleveland panorama   Save
Cleveland panorama
Description: Reverse reads: "Ident - 88 - State Picture Book. Page 62-63 Double page spread; Location - Cleveland; Caption - Panorama of Cleveland." This photograph shows a portion of downtown Cleveland, Ohio centered on the Terminal Tower building and the rail station. Also visible is Cleveland Municipal Stadium, Cuyahoga County Courthouse, Cleveland City Hall and The Mall The Terminal Tower building, is located on Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio. Formly known as Cleveland Union Terminal, and designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the tower was modeled after the Beaux-Arts New York Municipal Building by McKim, Mead, and White. Built mainly of limestone, the tower itself seems extremely ornate compared with the simplicity of the lower portion of the building. Built by the Van Sweringen brothers it is 98 feet square to the 37th floor, where it assumes a polygonal form with buttresses as far as the 39th floor; there, with a series of encircling turrets, it becomes cylindrical before culminating in a cone surmounted with a flagpole. At night, floodlights illuminate the tower above the 34th floor. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The tower is one of a number of interconnected buildings that make up the Tower City Center. The Cuyahoga County Courthouse, located at 1 Lakeside Avenue, is a four-story pink granite structure, completed in 1912 by designed by architects Lehman and Schmidt in the French Classical Revival (Beaux-Arts) style. The Lakeside Avenue facade is decorated with figures in white Tennessee marble of men important in the development of English law; before the north entrance are bronze statues of John Marshall and Rufus Ray, and before the south of Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton. Sculptors were Herbert Adams, Karl Bitter, and Daniel Chester French. Notable among the works of art in the building is a mural decoration, 'The Trial of Captain John Smith', by Charles Yardley Turner, which portrays a scene at Smith's trial for treason and mutiny in 1607. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It now houses the Cleveland Law Library Association. Cleveland City Hall, located at Lakeside Avenue and East 6th (Sixth) Street is a five-story steel-frame and concrete structure with Vermont granite exterior was designed by J. Milton Dyer in the Renaissance style in 1916 at a cost of $3 million dollars. It has arcaded ground story, a 2-story Tuscan colonnade, and a central entrance bay characteristic of the Beaux-Arts style and was the first such structure built for and owned by the city. The Council Chambers underwent major restorations in 1951 and 1977. In 1994, a major exterior renovation costing $2.9 million took place for the first time in the building's history. Cleveland Stadium, located at the foot of West 3rd (Third) Street, is built of gray-white brick and cost $3 million dollars to build. It opened July 3, 1931, for the heavyweight championship fight between Max Schmeling and Young Stribling. Designed by Walker and Weeks, the two-deck stadium had a seating capacity of 78, 189, which could be augmented by temporary seats to total 100, 000. Batteries of floodlights make night events possible. Sometimes called Cleveland Municipal Stadium and/or Lakefront Stadium, this multipurpose building was the home for first the Cleveland Rams, then Cleveland Browns (football) and the Cleveland Indians (baseball). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 and demolished to make way for new modern facilities in 1996 (Cleveland Browns Stadium). The 1903 Group Plan by Daniel Burnham, John Carrère, and Arnold W. Brunner as a vast public room flanked by the city's major civic and governmental buildings, all built in the neoclassical style. Many of those buildings along this long public park were built over the following three decades, including the Metzenbaum Courthouse (1910), Cuyahoga County Courthouse (1912), Cleveland City Hall (1916), Public Auditorium (1922), the Cleveland Public Library main building (1925), and the Cleveland Public Schools Board of Education building (1931). Other buildings include Key Tower, the Cuyahoga County Administration Building, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. The Mall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F11_48_01
Subjects: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Terminal Tower Complex (Cleveland, Ohio)--History; Historic buildings--Ohio--Cleveland; Public Square (Cleveland, Ohio); Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Cleveland, Ohio); Municipal Stadium (Cleveland, Ohio); County courts--Ohio; City halls--United States; Cleveland Rams (Football team); Cleveland. Football Club (National League, Browns); Cleveland Indians (Baseball team); Van Sweringen, Oris Paxton, 1879-1936; Van Sweringen, Mantis James, 1881-1935; Walker and Weeks (Firm); Schmeling, Max, 1905-2005; Stribling, Young, 1907-1933; Dyer, J. Milton, 1870-1957; Brunner, Arnold W. (Arnold William), 1857-1925; Burnham, D. H. (Daniel Hudson), 1846-1912; Carrère, John Merven, 1858-1911; Brunner, Arnold W. (Arnold William), 1857-1925; Burnham, D. H. (Daniel Hudson), 1846-1912; Carrère, John Merven, 1858-1911; Turner, Charles Yardley, 1850-; Adams, Herbert, 1858-1945; Bitter, Karl Theodore Francis, 1867-1915; French, Daniel Chester, 1850-1931; National Register of Historic Places
Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)