: This photograph shows, what is most likely, gravel from the quarry on Kelley's Island, being loaded from a railcar onto a cargo barge.
The Kelley Island Lime & Transport Company, founded in 1896, and which was once the largest producer of limestone and lime products in the world, closed the early 1960s. Numerous ruins of these operations and quarries now dot the island. The East Quarry closed in 1940 and is now a state park.
Kelley’s Island, originally known as Island Number 6 and later Cunningham Island, was renamed in 1840 for brothers Datus and Irad Kelley, who were largely responsible for cultivating the island's quarrying, logging and winemaking industries.
In 1975, 23 acres on the island's southern shore were designated a historic district, the "Kelleys Island South Shore District," and added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1988, the district was renamed to the "Kelleys Island Historic District" and expanded to include the entire island. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F09_032_1 Subjects
: Limestone--Ohio; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Quarries and quarrying--Ohio; Historic sites--Ohio--Kelleys Island--Pictorial works; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Kelleys Island (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)