: This photograph shows the steamer ore boat "Steelton of Wilmington" docked alongside railroad tracks in Toledo, Ohio. This was probably owned by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation (1857 - 2003), based in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and used for transporting coal or steel.
In the background can be seen the Anthony Wayne Suspension Bridge. The bridge, built in 1931by the McClintic - Marshall Company is 1252 long in total. Also called The High Level Bridge, it has various lattice patterns, as well as a large "X" in each of the towers. Unusual is the fact that the the extender cables running down from the main cable are in sets of two, rather than the more common single extender. Spanning the Maumee River and currently painted sky blue, it connects Clayton Street to Woodville Road with Routes 2, 21 and 65 also using the bridge.
The bridge was named after General Anthony Wayne. Anthony Wayne (January 1, 1745 – December 15, 1796) was a United States Army general and statesman. Wayne adopted a military career at the outset of the American Revolutionary War, where his military exploits and fiery personality quickly earned him a promotion to the rank of brigadier general and the nickname of Mad Anthony.
Among his many actions and accomplishments, on August 20, 1794, Wayne mounted an assault on the Indian confederacy at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, in modern Maumee, Ohio (just south of present-day Toledo), which was a decisive victory for the U.S. forces, ending the war. Wayne then negotiated the Treaty of Greenville between the tribal confederacy and the United States, which was signed on August 3, 1795. The treaty gave most of what is now Ohio to the United States, and cleared the way for that state to enter the Union in 1803. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F09_037_1 Subjects
: Lake Erie; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Steamships; Suspension Bridges Ohio; Wayne, Anthony, 1745-1796 Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)