Birchard Library in Fremont, Ohio photograph   Save
Birchard Library in Fremont, Ohio photograph
Description: This photograph shows the Birchard Library in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Sardis Birchard gave real estate and other property, totaling $50,000, in a trust to establish a library in Fremont for the free use and benefit to the people of Sandusky County. In 1878, the library building was built at a cost of $6,369.31 on the site of Fort Stephenson, a stipulation of the original request. Rutherford B Hayes, nephew of Birchard, announced this gift to the city council in July of 1873. President Hayes not only gave the money, but supervised the building of the library and served as the President of the Board of Directors until his death. On June 3, 1874, Birchard Library opened it's doors in a building on Front Street. The library contained 1683 books of the 5,000 ordered by Rutherford B Hayes. Patrons had to be at least 14 years of age to borrow a book and were required to deposit a bond of $3.00. Only the librarians could take the books from the shelves. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B06F07_034_1
Subjects: Libraries; Architecture; Buildings; Entrances; Fremont (Ohio)--History
Places: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)