Mumaugh women's club building in Lancaster, Ohio   Save
Mumaugh women's club building in Lancaster, Ohio
Description: Caption reads: "Mumaugh woman's Club building & Lancaster Museum, located at 162 E. Main St., contains club rooms, and a room devoted to museum exhibits consisting chiefly of a case of curioso and shells, and a couch and chair once the property of Gen. Wm. T. Sherman. First Lancaster Catholic Church services held here in 1817. Mr Giani, an Italian immigrant, built this home in 1806 on a lot purchased from Jacob and Peter Fetters. Originally a one story brick structure, it is believed the oldest brick structure still standing in Ohio. When the first Catholic Mass was said in the house, it was owned by Michael Garaghty, a local banker. Mr Garaghty hired a prominent local builder, Isaiah Vorys, Sr to build an addition on the house. This was done between 1824 and 1826. In 1857, John Mumaugh purchased the house. It was lived in by this family until 1929, when his daughter, Mary Frances died. She left the home to the city of Lancaster to be a memorial to her father. It was to be used as a cultural center and meeting place for women. In 2002, the city of Lancaster gave the Mumaugh Memorial to the Lancaster County Foundation. The foundation maintains the building and occupied the back section as its office. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B06F01_006_1
Subjects: Lancaster (Ohio); Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.
Places: Lancaster (Ohio); Fairfield County (Ohio)