: This photograph shows the Columbus City Hall (center) and the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (left) taken from the State Office Building., facing north.
The City Hall, located 90 West Broad Street, bounded by Gay, Front, and Broad Sts., and Riverside Drive, occupies, with its park, and entire block in the heart of the civic center. The 5-story structure of Indiana limestone, in Greco-Roman style, was designed by the Allied Architects Association of Columbus and cost $1,700,000. Three of the four sections of the building, which surround a court, were completed in 1928, and the fourth was dedicated in 1936. The hall houses various municipal departments and contains a city council chamber that originally sat more than 400 people. At night multi-colored lights played upon a fountain before the Broad Street entrance.
The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, sometimes referred to as the Federal Building, is located at 85 Marconi Boulevard at the corner of Gay Street. Completed in 1934, it is the Federal Government’s contribution to the civic center. It occupies a triangular tract on the east bank of the Scioto River, and housed the main post office, Federal courts and offices, and the U.S. Weather Bureau station. The 4-story building is of sandstone and marble construction, with classic lines. Richards, McCarty & Bulford, of Columbus, designed the structure, which cost almost $1,800,000 to build. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F04B_005 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Municipal buildings--United States; Post offices--United States--1930-1940; Courthouses--Ohio--History. Ohio; Richards, McCarty & Bulford (Columbus, Ohio); City halls--United States; Allied Architects Association (Columbus, Ohio) Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)