: Photo taken in late 1930s. St Raphael Church is located at 225 East High Street, at the corner of Spring Street, in Springfield. Designed by architect Charles A. Cregar, construction on this Gothic style brick building began in 1848. Construction on a very large addition began in 1892, and was officially completed with the dedication in 1898. This historic Roman Catholic church has a 184 foot tower, and a somewhat smaller one holding a 16, 000 pound bell. The stained glass windows, created by Mayer of Munich, were designed in the twelfth-century manner. In 1976, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Entering the the frame on the left is St. Raphael Church elementary School (formerly the old Post Office). This 3-story stone building, built in 1890, began as the United States Post Office with a construction cost of $150, 000. Sometimes just called the United States Building, it was designed by Charles Creager in the Romanesque style. By 1898 the space had become inadequate and funding was received to begin renovations. An axillary station was established in the Crowell Publishing building until expansions were complete.
A new Post Office was built in 1934 at 150 North Limestone, which is probably when the old Post Office became the Saint Raphael Church elementary school. Formerly located on the corner of East High and South Spring Streets, the building was demolished in the 1960s to create more room for Parish parking. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F01_008 Subjects
: Gothic Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Springfield (Ohio); Buildings, structures, etc; Churches--Ohio; Roman Catholic Church; Mayer & Co ; Clark County (Ohio) Places
: Springfield (Ohio)--Clark County (Ohio)