: This is a picture taken at night of the WLW radio antenna. The antenna is located in Mason, Ohio, near Cincinnati.
In 1933, Powel Crosley obtained a construction permit from the Federal Radio Commission for a 500 kilowatt superstation, and he spent some $500, 000 building the transmitter and antenna. In January 1934 WLW began broadcasting at the 500 kilowatt level late at night under the experimental call sign W8XO. In April 1934 the station was authorized to operate at 500 kilowatts during regular hours under the WLW call letters. On May 2, 1934, President Franklin D. Roosevelt pressed a ceremonial button that officially launched WLW's 500-kilowatt signal. As the first station in the world to broadcast at this strength, WLW received repeated complaints from around the United States and Canada that it was overpowering other stations as far away as Toronto. In December 1934 WLW cut back to 50 kilowatts at night to mitigate the interference, and began construction of three 50ft. tower antennas to be used to reduce signal strength towards Canada. With these three antennas in place, full-time broadcasting at 500 kilowatts resumed in early 1935. However, WLW was continuing to operate under special temporary authority that had to be renewed every six months, and each renewal brought complaints about interference and undue domination of the market by such a high-power station. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B14F05_001_001 Subjects
: Mason (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio); Antenna arrays; WLW (Radio Station: Cincinnati, Ohio); Radio stations; Radio broadcasting Places
: Mason (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)