: The Ross County Courthouse in the county seat of Chillicothe was built in 1858. It is located at 2 North Paint Street.
By proclamation of Gov. Arthur St. Clair on August 20, 1789, Ross County was formed. It was named for James Ross of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, who was a friend of Gov St. Clair. The county covered most of the the state of Ohio. It has been its current size since 1803,
In 1800, Chillicothe was named the capital of the Northwest Territory.
Chillicothe also served as the capital of the State of Ohio from 1803 to 1809 when it was moved to Zanesville. Then in 1816, the capital was moved back to Chillicothe for one year. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F02_009_1 Subjects
: Chillicothe (Ross County, Ohio); Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Court-houses Places
: Chillicothe (Ohio); Ross County (Ohio)