Standard Oil Company service station photographSave
Description: Grand Opening of a Standard Oil Company's Sohio service station. Standard Oil of Ohio was the original Standard Oil company founded in 1911 by John D. Rockefeller as a result of Standard Oil Company and Trust breakup. Standard Oil Company and Trust was an American company and corporate trust that from 1870 to 1911 was controlling almost all oil production, processing, marketing, and transportation in the United States. Standard Oil Company stations in Ohio operated under the brand name "Sohio." The company was acquired by British Petroleum, now BP, in 1968. Following the terms of the acquisition, BP took majority ownership of the company in 1978. In 1987 BP bought out 45% of Sohio, assuming control, and in 1991 started rebranding all the Sohio stations to 'BP.' Although Sohio gas stations have ceased to exist, a few gas stations on Lake Erie and the Ohio River still bear the Sohio name. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07668 Subjects: Standard Oil Company; Oil industry; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Transportation--Ohio--History Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Alexander Winton (1860-1932) was a Scottish-born American and pioneer automobile manufacturer, seen here driving his Winton automobile. He settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and started the Winton Motor Carriage Company in 1897, with his automobile credited as the first commercial sale of automobile in the United States. He patented over one hundred designs and even gave Henry Ford access to his steering designs before a race. Ford and his assembly line out-produced Winton's custom-made cars and put him out of business in 1924. Winton eventually focused purely on engine design, and his Winton Engine Company was bought by General Motors in 1930. He died in Cleveland, Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04079 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Science and Technology; Automobile industry; Ford, Henry, 1863-1947; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows The Brooks Household Art Co. in Cleveland, Ohio, where I. T. Frary's drafting room was located. He worked for the company (which later became Rorimer-Brooks Studios) as an interior decorator and furniture designer from 1894 until 1914.
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1873, Ihna Thayer Frary was a prominent American art and architecture scholar, whose primary interest was the architectural heritage of the region of northeastern Ohio known as the Western Reserve. In addition to serving as publicity and membership secretary of the Cleveland Museum of Art, he was a professor of Ohio and American architecture at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Western Reserve University’s School of Architecture. Over the course of his career, Frary was a design consultant for private clients and designed furniture, and was an active member of several prominent arts councils in the Cleveland area. In 1963, Frary and his two sons donated his entire photographic collection to the Ohio Historical Society (now the Ohio History Connection). The Inha Thayer Frary Collection consists of 4,000 5 x 7 photographs of private residences, churches, taverns, and public buildings, as well as select rural buildings, bridges, archaeological sites, and public monuments. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P112_B63_F2-3_01 Subjects: Frary, I. T. (Ihna Thayer); Photography--Ohio; Architecture; Stores and shops; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Portrait of Edward W. Scripps (1854-1926), ca. 1900. After purchasing the Cleveland Penny Press in 1878, Scripps built the first newspaper chain in the United States. Through a series of acquisitions, he formed United Press International, which sent reporters all around the world to report on news events instead of relying on reporters from other papers for information. Shortly after establishing the United Press Association, Scripps also created the Newspaper Enterprise Association. This organization provided Scripps' newspapers and other papers around the world with editorial cartoons, feature stories, and pictures. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03884 Subjects: Newspaper publishing; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
5 matches on "Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use