Elliott Hall at Wesleyan University photographSave
Description: This image shows Elliott Hall on the campus of Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio. Ohio Wesleyan University located in Delaware Ohio received its charter from the state of Ohio in 1842. The first college classes were offered in 1844. Since the founding of the university, the school is associated with the Methodist Church.
Originally, only men attended Ohio Wesleyan. Ohio Wesleyan Female College began to offer classes in 1853. It was not until 1877 that the Female College became part of Ohio Wesleyan University. Three women who had been instructors at the female college became the first female faculty members at the university.
During the 1960s and 1970s, campus unrest led to the students having more of a say in campus decision-making. As a result of student protests, the university modified requirements that students attend religious services and placed less of a focus on religion in education. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06505 Subjects: Ohio Wesleyan University; College buildings; Education Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Description: Illustration depicting the murder of Delaware people who had converted to Christianity at the Moravian Mission of Gnadenhutten. On March 8 and 9, 1782, a group of Pennsylvania militiamen under the command of Captain David Williamson attacked the Moravian Church mission founded by David Zeisberger at Gnadenhutten, Ohio. The Americans attacked the Native Americans in retaliation for the deaths and kidnappings of several white Pennsylvanians, although these Native Americans had not been involved in the incidents in question. The Christian Delawares had abandoned Gnadenhutten the year before, but some of them had returned to harvest crops that were still in the fields. In all, Williamson's men murdered twenty-eight men, twenty-nine women, and thirty-nine children. There were only two survivors, who informed the Moravian missionaries and other Christian Indians as to what had occurred. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL02709 Subjects: Moravian Church--Missions--Ohio; Delaware Indians--History--18th century; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood Places: Gnadenhutten (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Delaware County Delaware Co Willis Hi
This photograph shows Frank B. Willis High School located in Delaware, Ohio, ca. 1935. The Willis School was named after Frank B. Willis, who was born in Delaware County and died in the City of Delaware on March 30, 1928. Willis served the citizens of Delaware and the State of Ohio in the Ohio House of Representatives (1900-1904), the U.S. House of Representatives (1911-1915), as Governor of Ohio (1915-1917), and as Ohio’s senator in the U.S. Senate from 1920 until his death in 1928.
Willis School, which housed grades 7-12, opened in 1932 and was named to honor Delaware's native son. The first graduating class was in 1933; the last was in 1962. From 1962 until the present, Willis School housed a middle school for the City of Delaware.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B12F06_021_001 Subjects: School buildings--Ohio; Education--Ohio; Governors--Ohio Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Description: Administrative building at the Girls' Industrial School, Delaware, Ohio, erected in 1873. The purpose of the school was "the reformation of exposed, helpless, evil disposed, and vicious girls." In 1878, the term "incorrigible" was added. A five-member board of trustees purchased a piece of property known as the Ohio White Sulphur Springs Resort, eighteen miles north of Columbus. The first six girls were admitted to the school in October 1869. The inmates spent their mornings performing domestic chores. They also learned various vocational trades, including basket-making, music, sewing, and stenography. In the afternoons, the girls attended school, where they studied, reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, geography, literature, and United States history among other topics. The girls remained at the school until they reached seventeen years of age or completed their sentence. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00192 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Ohio Women; Delaware (Ohio); Women--Education - Ohio; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry - 5th United States Colored Troops photographSave
Description: This 5 by 6.75-inch (12.25 by 17-cm) photograph shows members of the 127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the first African American regiment recruited in Ohio during the Civil War. The regiment was formed in 1863, and was subsequently designated as the 5th Regiment, United States Colored Troops. The photograph was taken in Delaware, Ohio, on Sandusky Street near the Ft. Delaware Hotel. In May 1863, Massachusetts became the first state to organize a regiment of African Americans. Because Ohio did not then allow black men to join its regiments, many Ohioans enlisted in the 54th and 55th Massachusetts Regiments. In the summer of 1863, Ohio Governor David Tod authorized the recruitment of African Americans, and the 127th was formed in Delaware, Ohio, between August and November 1863 as an African American regiment organized under white officers. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03355 Subjects: Delaware County (Ohio); Civil War; 127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (O.V.I.); 5th Regiment United States Colored Troops; African American soldiers Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use