Description: Established in 1890 by Dr. Samuel B. Hartman, the Hartman Farm used to be one of the largest farms in Central Ohio. Located about twenty miles south of Columbus off of U.S. Route 23, the farm specialized in dairy cows and fruit orchards. A flat-bed truck passes several of the large white barns that were used to house livestock in this 1973 photograph.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B02F021_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Farms; Outbuildings; Barns Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: These three photographs document A. M. White's farm, which was located five miles north of Baltimore, Fairfield County, Ohio. The farm consisted of a house and several outbuildings. Blue owned 80 acres when these photographs were taken in 1910. This photograph is part of a series of photographs taken by the Ohio Department of Agriculture documenting farms in Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3001_3623451_001 Subjects: Agriculture; Architecture; Farms; Houses Places: Baltimore (Ohio); Fairfield County (Ohio)
Description: The Hartman family farmhouse overlooks acres of plowed fields. Established in 1890 by Dr. Samuel B. Hartman, the Hartman Farm used to be one of the largest farms in Central Ohio. Located about twenty miles south of Columbus off of U.S. Route 23, the farm specialized in dairy cows and fruit orchards.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B02F034_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Farms; Farmhouses; Rural life Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: The photograph shows flooded farm fields in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. The photographer stands on high ground and looks out over an elevated road surrounded by flooded fields. The water extends back to a line of trees in the distance. Fences lie partially submerged throughout the fields and two sets of telephone poles and wires run on either side of the road. Buildings and a railroad bridge can be seen in the distance past the row of trees. The farms are now park of the Harrison Smith Park in Upper Sandusky. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a traveling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV30_B05F05_54 Subjects: Floods--Ohio; Railroads--Ohio; Farms; Natural disasters; Climate and weather Places: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio);
Description: This photograph shows a farm house in the winter. To the fight of the house is a building that may be a shed or some kind of storage building. On the left and a bit behind the house is the barn. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F04_004_013 Subjects: House; Family farms--Ohio; Farms--Ohio Places: Ohio
Description: Dated July 26, 1938, this photograph shows several farmhands threshing hay loaded onto three horse-drawn wagons, with two chickens in the foreground. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F08_010_001 Subjects: Farms; Agriculture; Barns; Rural life; Hay Places: Ohio
Description: This 26" x 35" (66 x 91.5 cm) painting by artist Charles Sullivan depicts a farm near the Miamisburg Mound in Montgomery County, Ohio. The Miamisburg Mound is the largest conical burial mound in Ohio and possibly in the eastern United States. Archaeological investigations of the surrounding area suggest that it was constructed by the prehistoric Adena Indians (800 B.C.-A.D. 100). Built on a 100-foot-high bluff, the mound measures 877 feet (267.3 m) in circumference. It was originally more than 70 feet (21.33 m) high. Charles Sullivan (1794-1867) was born in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. His family moved to Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia) and then to Marietta, Ohio in 1833. He studied art in Philadelphia and was a friend and student of the painter Thomas Sully. Although Sullivan painted portraits throughout his artistic career, landscapes were his specialty. Sullivan's landscape style has been associated with the Hudson River School of painting. Both in Wheeling and in Marietta, he produced numerous paintings of the river area of southeastern Ohio and what is now western West Virginia. His historical views of Marietta and the mound earthworks located there, however, are some of his most important. These paintings provide documents of early Ohio settlement, some colored by stories told to him by early Washington County settlers, and some painted as he saw them in an era before photography was commonplace. Sullivan made Marietta his home until his death at the age of seventy-three. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om2892_1831762_001 Subjects: Agriculture; American Indians in Ohio; Arts and Entertainment; Farms; Mounds (Burials); Adena culture Places: Miamisburg (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio); Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "Forest of glass on Swartsel Farm."
A direct descendant of original settlers in Jackson Township, Winter Zellar (Zero) Swartsel was born in 1876. Throughout his life he was a natural born showman, teacher, eccentric, anarchist, and “possibly the grandfather of American Pop Culture.” At a young age and tired of the routines of Farmersville, he declared that, “He would live by his wits while his brothers lived by the sweat of their brows.” He and a friend bicycled first to New York City and then turned around to head west and eventually the world. Later his home would overflow with items collected while traveling the world. Outside was a similar story. While chiding the American people for their wastefulness and abusing their environment, his 22 acres of farmland became his artist's canvas filled with the thousands of items he collected from the “wasteful.” View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F08_038_1 Subjects: Outdoor art; Farms--Ohio; Eccentrics and eccentricities Places: Farmersville (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph of two women, each leading a horse by the reins. A log structure is seen in the background.
This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed “Ewing Brothers” and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934.
The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06374 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Portrait photography--United States—History; Horses; Multicultural Ohio--Ohio Women; Portrait photography--United States--History; Log structures; Farms Places: Ohio; West Virginia
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use