Description: This color image shows a view of the business district of Chardon, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The perspective is looking toward the street from Chardon Square Park. In the center foreground of the image is a raised platform around which is a ring of lampposts. Chardon Courthouse Square District was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland's mayor, 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06624 Subjects: Buildings; Business and Labor; National Register of Historic Places; Historic buildings--Ohio; Geauga County (Ohio) Places: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: Dated January 9, 1941, these photographs show two Amish farmhouses near Middlefield, Ohio. Ohio is home to the world's largest Amish population. Ohio's Amish Country consists mainly of Holmes County, Wayne County, and Stark County. For nearly two centuries this area has remained unrestrained by modern technologies. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F06_030 Subjects: Amish; Farms; Amish farmers--Ohio--Geauga County; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Middlefield (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: "The Steaming Sugar Bush (Geauga County Near Chardon, Ohio)
Sign on sugar house reads: Chardon Lakes Sugar Camp
Photographer: E.P. Moody. March 1941."
Maple syrup season begins in January, ending around April in Ohio, and while trees are tapped all over the state, Geauga County has some of the state's best, and hosts the state's Maple Syrup Festival every spring.
Traditionally, maple syrup was harvested by tapping a maple tree through the bark and into the wood, then letting the sap run into a bucket, which required daily collecting. Less labor-intensive methods, such as the use of continuous plastic pipelines, have since superseded this in all but cottage-scale production.
It takes approximately 10 gal. of sap to be boiled down to1 quart of syrup, and a mature sugar maple produces about 10 gal. of sap during the 4- to 6-week sugaring season under gravity, but can produce 20 or more gallons under vacuum. Trees are not tapped until they have a diameter of 10 in. at chest-height and the tree is at least 40 years old. If the tree is more than 18 in., it can be tapped twice on opposite sides View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F17_008_1 Subjects: Maple syrup industry--Ohio--Geauga County; Sugar factories--Ohio--Geauga County Places: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: This color image shows a front view of the Geauga County Courthouse, Chardon, Ohio. L.J. Randall, builder of the Randall Block on Main Street, was the contractor for the courthouse; Joseph Ireland (active in Cleveland 1865-1885) was the architect.
Looking at the Geauga County Courthouse, note the square tower which changes to an octagon one full story above the roof line. The courthouse's cupola reaches 112 feet and contains an antique clock mechanism that was renovated in 1996 by the community and Chapter 28 of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. The bandstand on the village public green is a reconstruction of the 1875 original. The bandstand was dedicated by the community in 1981, and the brick memorial walkway was dedicated in 1993.
The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 as part of the Chardon Courthouse Square District. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06623 Subjects: Courthouses; Justice centers; Justice--Administration of; National Register of Historic Places; Geauga County (Ohio); Local government Places: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: Taken by naturalist and nature conservator Ralph Ramey at Claridon Prairie in Geauga County, Ohio, this is a photograph of a water parsnip (Sium suave), a plant that thrives in moist or aquatic environments and commonly grows in shallow marshes, ditches, and wet meadows. The plant is characterized by clusters of blossoms with heart-shaped petals and linear leaves. Naturalist and photographer Ralph Ramey documented plants, animals, insects, and other notable features of the Ohio landscape on his travels throughout Ohio. Ramey is a prolific writer and authored "Fifty Hikes in Ohio: Walks, Hikes, and Backpacking Trips throughout the Buckeye State," often illustrating his books and lectures with his photographs. Ramey spent time working for the Franklin County Park District, the Miami County Park District, and served as Director of the Glen Helen Nature Preserve in Yellow Springs, Ohio. He also worked as the chief of the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, before retiring in 1994. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV224_B12F02_waterparsnip Subjects: Wildflowers--Ohio; Nature photography; Naturalists; Nature conservation Places: Claridon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "In the Spring They Come to Buy Our Sugar
(Geauga County near Chardon, Ohio)
District 4, Cleveland, Ohio Photographer E.P. Moody
This is a photo of three men and a boy taking sap from a tree near Chardon, Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F08_016_001 Subjects: Tree trunks; Cars Places: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use