Description: Portrait of Dr. John G. F. Holston. Holston was born in 1809 in Hamburg, Germany. After travelling the world as a cabin boy, he landed in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, where he attended Washington College and graduated with honors. He attended Cleveland College where he studied medicine. He was later called to be chair of surgery in the National Medical College at Washington. He served in the Civil War for the Union, and was eventually promoted to serve as medical director in General Ulysses S. Grant’s staff. After the war, he opened a medical practice in Zanesville, Ohio, but soon moved back to Washington D.C., where he was appointed a professor of anatomy at Georgetown Medical School and served as physician to President Grant’s family.
Holston married Mary Ann Campbell, with whom he had eight children. He died on May 1, 1874 at the age of sixty-five.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07669 Subjects: Medicine--History; Zanesville (Ohio); Veterans; Immigrants--Ohio
Description: In this photograph, Italian immigrant Florindo Dipinto operates his tool-grinding cart on the sidewalk in Cleveland, Ohio, ca. 1950-1960. Dipinto immigrated to the United States from Italy in 1913 at age 17. He originally settled in Chicago where he learned the tool-grinding trade from his uncle, Vincenzo Fabrizio. After one year of working with his uncle, he was able to purchase his own tool-grinding cart.
Before settling in Cleveland, he worked in a coal mine in Colorado; served briefly in the United States Army during World War I; operated his grinding cart in Youngstown, Ohio, and returned to Italy where he served in the Army and met his wife Maria. Between 1927 and 1961, Dipinto operated his grinding cart in Cleveland, sharpening tools for a variety of customers. He retired in 1961 and passed away in 1981. The grinding cart is part of the Ohio Historical Society museum collections. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07057 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Ethnic Communities; Immigrants--Ohio; Tools Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: This handmade two-wheeled cart used for sharpening knives and scissors was made in Chicago, Illinois, around 1910. The wooden frame is painted green and sits on two red wheels. Two handles at one end have a striped cloth seat between them. The top of the machine has several grinding stones on a metal rod. Wrapped around the rod is a belt attached to a large wheel in the center of the cart, which is operated by several foot pedals at the base.
The cart was originally owned by Vincenzo Fabrizio, an Italian immigrant in Chicago. Fabrizio arranged for his nephew, Florindo DiPinto, to immigrate to the United States in 1913 when DiPinto was 17 years old. DiPinto learned the sharpening and grinding craft from his uncle on this cart. With this grinding cart, DiPinto sharpened such things as razors, knives, scissors, swords, saws, hedge trimmers and lawnmower blades. After a year, DiPinto purchased this cart from his uncle. In 1917, DiPinto moved to Youngstown from Chicago with this sharpening machine and pursued his trade there. In 1927, DiPinto moved to Cleveland with this machine and stayed active with it until his retirement in 1961. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: H43618_01 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Ethnic Communities; Immigrants--Ohio; Tools and equipment; Immigration and Ethnic Heritage; Places: Youngstown (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio); Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: This broadside reveals the views of General William Henry Harrison on immigrants, and their rights as Americans, by summarizing a speech given by Harrison on October 1, 1840. Harrison's speech confronted accusations that he was against granting asylum to immigrants who wanted to escape "the oppression of foreign despots."
William Henry Harrison would go on to become the ninth President of the United States in 1841. He died 32 days after taking office of complications from pneumonia, making him the first president to die while in office. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS4995_B58 Subjects: Ohio History--Presidents and Politics; Presidential campaigns; Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841; Immigrants--Ohio
Description: Dated 1930-1939, this photograph shows first generation Americans in an Americanization course in Dover, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F03_027_001 Subjects: Americanization; Citizenship--America; Education; Immigrants; Ohio Women; Working class women Places: Dover (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: This map shows the immigrant and African American communities in Cleveland in 1915. Ethnic groups represented at the time were Czechoslovakian, Finnish, German, Greek and Syrian, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Lithuanian, Polish, Rumanian, Russian, Yugoslav and African American.
The most substantial and diverse migration to Cleveland occurred between 1870 and 1914, and included many Southern and Eastern Europeans. This large exodus was fostered by shortages of land in the home countries, more liberal emigration policies, increased military conscription, and, particularly for those of Jewish descent, persecution. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MAPVFM47_8 Subjects: Immigrants--Ohio; Immigration and Ethnic Heritage; Multicultural Ohio--Ethnic Communities Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use