Description: The Logan Elm in Pickaway County, Ohio, was the location of a speech on Indian and white relations given by Chief Logan of the Ohio Iroquois in 1774. Originally an ally of white settlers in the Ohio country, Logan began to oppose their settlement after a contingent of Virginia settlers killed 12 members of Logan's family and tribe. At the time the tree died in 1964, it was estimated to be between 200 to 300 years old, and was approximately 24 feet in circumference. In its place, the Ohio History Connection (then the Ohio Historical Society) and Pickaway Country placed a plaque, and, recently, planted a pin oak tree in honor of Chief Logan and the legendary elm tree. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00395 Subjects: Natural monuments; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Seneca-Cayuga Tribe; American Indians in Ohio Places: Pickaway County (Ohio)
Description: Path leading to the Rock House formation at Hocking Hills State Park in Hocking County (Ohio). The Rock House is a cave that got its name due to the fact inside it resembled a house with natural windows. The cave is formed from sandstone which has been slowly eroded. At one time the cave was even inhabited by several groups of native people over time. The site has also been and remains popular for tourists in Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06685 Subjects: Hocking Hills State Park (Ohio); Geology--Ohio; Caves--Ohio; Natural monuments Places: Hocking county (Ohio)
Description: A memorial in Jackson, Ohio to John Wesley Powell. Powell was a member of the Union Army during the Civil War and a founder of U.S. Geological Survey. Powell was born on March 24. 1834 in Mount Morris, New York and moved to Jackson, Ohio when he was about 4. He became interested in natural history as a young boy. He served on the Union side in the Civil War, where he lost a part of his right arm. After the war, he became an explorer. He died on September 23, 1902 and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He was married to his cousin, Emma Dean. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06875 Subjects: Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902; Geography and Natural Resources; Monuments & memorials Places: Jackson (Ohio); Jackson County (Ohio)
Description: Two photographs of the Johnny Appleseed monument near Dexter City in Noble County, Ohio were taken in the 1960s. The monument is constructed of stones donated by people in areas where John Chapman is believed to have planted apple seeds. The photographs measure 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). John Chapman (1774-1836), also known as "Johnny Appleseed," was born in Massachusetts and planted his first apple seeds in western Pennsylvania around 1798. He then began traveling throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania planting apple seeds and helping settlers establish orchards. Chapman was a follower of Emanuel Swedenborg, a Swedish scientist and theologian, and shared his religious views along with his apple seeds. He died in Fort Wayne, Indiana. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3041_3655506_001 Subjects: Plants and Animals; Geography and Natural Resources; Monuments & memorials; Rocks; Appleseed, Johnny, 1774-1845 Places: Dexter City (Ohio); Noble County (Ohio)
Description: This memorial to explorer John Wesley Powell is located near the county courthouse in Jackson, Ohio. Completed in 1938, the monument is built of stones donated by the Improved Order of Red Men. The image measures 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). Powell (1834-1902) was born in New York, but moved to Jackson with his family when he was four years old. He became interested in natural history as a boy and pursued a career in the field, becoming a curator at the Illinois State Natural History Society in 1858. He served in the Civil War, sustaining a serious wound in the Battle of Shiloh the required the amputation of his right forearm. In 1869, he took a team to explore the southwestern United States and became one of the first white men to navigate the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. From 1880 to 1894 Powell served as director of the United States Geological Survey and as director of the Smithsonian's Bureau of Ethnology from 1880 to 1902. The Improved Order of Red Men is one of the oldest fraternal organizations in the United States. It is supposedly descended from the Sons of Liberty, which during the colonial period worked secretly to achieve independence from England. The Ohio Council was organized in 1853, six years after the national organization, the Great Council of the United States was founded in Maryland. Freedom, friendship, and charity were its main concerns. Its rituals and terminology were borrowed from American Indians, who were excluded from membership. Prominent members claimed by the order include Theodore Roosevelt, Warren G. Harding, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was adopted in 1930 at the DeWitt Clinton Hotel in Columbus. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3022_3636510_001 Subjects: Arts and Entertainment; Geography and Natural Resources; Monuments & memorials; Explorers; Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902; Rocks; Fraternal orders Places: Jackson (Ohio); Jackson County (Ohio)
8 matches on "Natural monuments"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use