Description: This photograph is a reproduction of an original taken in 1833 by Pearl Nye, a captain on the Ohio and Erie Canal, which shows canal boats on the last moorings on Water Street in Columbus, Ohio. According to a note on the photograph's reverse, the boat in the foreground, the Wave, was run by Adam Harman. The boat behind the Wave is the Friedley, owned by Captain John Hayes. Nye wrote "Wave" on the negative, faintly visible on the right side.
The Ohio and Erie Canal was one of Ohio's most important canals during the mid nineteenth century. During the late 1810s, Governor Thomas Worthington and Governor Ethan Allen Brown both supported internal improvements, especially canals. Both men believed that Ohioans needed quick and easy access to the Ohio River and to Lake Erie if they were to profit financially. In 1820, Brown convinced the Ohio legislature to establish the Ohio Canal Commission. Construction began in 1825, and the canal was completed in 1833. Once completed, thirty-three of Ohio's eighty-eight counties either had portions of canals running through them or quarries to mine rock for construction. Most canals remained in operation in Ohio until the late 1800s. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07033 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Canals; Ohio and Erie Canal (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows an aerial view of downtown Columbus, Ohio, during the mid-1950s. The Broad Street and Town Street bridges over the Scioto River are in the foreground. The tallest structure is the LeVeque Tower (formerly the American Insurance Union Citadel) which was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper located at 50 West Broad Street was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, the American Insurance Union went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945.
The light-colored building situated on the Scioto's east bank between the two bridges is the Ohio Judicial Center (Ohio State Office Building). Its construction began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Modernistic style. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010.
Visible one block east of the Judicial Center is the Ohio Statehouse with its distinctive cupola dome. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05691 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Aerial views; Architecture--Ohio; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
First Fulton boat built in America illustrationSave
Description: First Fulton boat built in America, from "The American Pioneer," ca. 1800-1809. Robert Fulton (1765-1815) was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and was an accomplished artist. He moved on to designing ships for navies, including the British, French, and Americans, who found his submarine design very useful. He eventually settled on steamboats and designed the Clermont, the first commercially-viable steamboat (others had dreamed of it before, but his was the only design to be economical enough). He also constructed the first steamboat to travel on the Ohio River, known as the New Orleans. His work revolutionized water traffic, helping to move Ohioans from a subsistence to a commercial economy.
"The American Pioneer" was described as "a monthly periodical devoted to the objects of the Logan Historical Society, or to collecting and publishing sketches relative to the early settlement and successive improvement of the country." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04040 Subjects: Steamboats; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Rivers--Ohio
296 matches on "Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development"
1. Choose a delivery format
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use