Description: This photograph is a view of Main St and Bridge in Crooksville, Ohio. Crooksville is a village of about 1.5 square miles in Perry County. It is the home of the well know Hull Pottery.
In July, Crooksville, along with neighboring Roseville, host the Crooksville-Roseville Pottery Festival View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F12_003_001 Subjects: Perry County (Ohio) Places: Crooksville (Ohio) Perry County (Ohio)
St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Priory photographSave
Description: This photograph shows an exterior image of St. Joseph's Church and Priory, Somerset, Ohio, ca. 1935-1943. St. Joseph's Church, a log cabin erected in 1818, was the first Catholic church built in Ohio. This Gothic structure, which dates from 1843, is the third St. Joseph's Church erected on the site. The attached priority was dedicated in 1882. The church and priority are situated at the top of a gradual incline, behind an expanse of lawn and trees.
Father Edward Fenwick (1768-1832), a member of the Order of Friars Preachers (commonly known as the Dominicans), traveled from Kentucky to Ohio as a missionary in 1808. A year later Jacob and Catharine Dittoe deeded 320 acres of land to Father Fenwick for the site of a church. The first church was a small log cabin dedicated on December 6, 1818, by Father Fenwick and his nephew, Father Nicholas Dominic Young. It had a dirt floor and measured only 18 feet by 22 feet. In 1821 Father Fenwick became the first Bishop of Cincinnati, a new diocese.
Membership in St. Joseph's Church continued to grow, as did the number of priestly vocations. In 1828 a brick church replaced the log cabin, and a priory for resident friars was completed in 1837. A college for the education of future priests was completed in 1854. In 1843 the current Gothic structure was dedicated, four years after its construction began.
In 1864 fire destroyed the priority and left only the church's brick shell. The church was rebuilt three years later, and the college was demolished to make way for the 1882 priory.
St. Joseph's Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06172 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Perry County (Ohio); Fenwick, Edward D. (Edward Dominic), 1768-1832; Dominicans; Somerset (Ohio); Cultural Ohio--Education; National Register of Historic Places Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: Photographic postcard with a distant view of Junction City in Perry County, Ohio, 1911. Junction City was established in 1872 by the merger of the towns of Trio City and Damascus. George Wolf and John Edmiston owned adjoining farms that became the towns of Damascus and Trio City in Perry County, Ohio. As the towns grew closer together, problems ensued between Wolf and Edmiston. They agreed to submit their claims to arbitration and it was recommended that the two towns be disbanded in favor of one, named Junction City. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03710 Subjects: Perry County (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development Places: Junction City (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: This 5.25" x 3.25" (13.34 x 8.26 cm) postcard features a photograph of Junction City, Ohio. Dozens of oil rigs dot the landscape of the town. Junction City was established in 1872 by the merger of the towns of Trio City and Damascus. George Wolf and John Edmiston owned adjoining farms that became the towns of Damascus and Trio City in Perry County, Ohio. As the towns grew closer together, problems ensued between Wolf and Edmiston. They agreed to submit their claims to arbitration and it was recommended that the two towns be disbanded in favor of one, named Junction City. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1540_1507477_001 Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; Ohio Government; Oil well drilling rigs; Oil wells; Petroleum industry Places: Junction City (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Entrance to the Somerset Courthouse photographSave
Description: This photograph is of the entrance of the Somerset courthouse in Perry County, Ohio. Above the entrance reads the inscription "Let justice be done, if the heavens should fall." The courthouse was built in 1829 and is indicative of first generation courthouses in Ohio with its square shape and attached tower. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F08_004 Subjects: Courthouses--Ohio--History. Ohio Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use