Description: Group portrait of the Columbus Panhandles football team in 1907. The men are identified from left to right as: John Nesser, Frank Nesser, Reagan Burton, Andy Kertzinger, Chief Henry, Ed Hughes, Joe Carr (founder and manager), Harry Greenwood, Phil Nesser, Fred Nesser, Baker, and Carlise. The Panhandles were one of the first professional football teams to join the American Professional Football Association, later renamed the National Football League, when it formed in 1920. They operated as a professional football franchise from 1920-1922, then again from 1923-1926. At the time this photograph was taken, the team played their home games at Indianola Park in Columbus. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05258 Subjects: Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports; Football; Columbus (Ohio); Sports teams; Sports--Ohio--History Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: The photograph shows eleven young men dressed in turtlenecks playing football in a field. They are lined up with an older man in a suit, perhaps a coach, standing behind them. The young man on the far left wears a soft helmet. Farm buildings and trees lie behind them. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's store, and later as a traveling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). Kinley was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV30_B01F01_54 Subjects: Football--Ohio--History; Sports--Ohio--History; Sports teams Places: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio);
Description: This is a team photograph of the Oorang Tribe football team with Jim Thorpe in the second row center, October 27, 1922. The team, a National Football League franchise, was sponsored and managed by Airedale terrier breeder Walter Lingo. All of the players were Native American. They were based in LaRue, Ohio, the location of Lingo's kennels. Thorpe served as the team coach and a celebrity spokesperson for Oorang Airedales, and played a few games. The team played two disappointing seasons in the NFL during the years 1922 and 1923. In 1922 their record was 5 wins and 8 losses; in 1923, 2 wins and 10 losses. Jim (James Francis) Thorpe was born in 1888 in Oklahoma to Hiram P. and Charlotte Thorpe. Both Hiram and Charlotte were of European and American Indian heritage and Jim was raised in the Sac and Fox tribes. In 1904 he was sent to a boarding school in Carlisle, Pennsylvania for American Indian children. While at Carlisle he played multiple sports, including football, lacrosse, baseball, basketball, and track. He left Carlisle in 1909 and 1910 to play professional baseball with teams in Eastern Carolina League in North Carolina. He returned to Carlisle in 1911 for two successful football seasons. In both 1911 and 1912 he was an All-American halfback for football. In 1912 he became the only person to win gold medals in both the pentathlon and decathlon at the Olympic Games in Stockholm, Sweden. His Olympic celebrity propelled him a three year contract playing professional baseball for the New York Giants. He also played baseball with the Boston Braves and Cincinnati Reds. However, it was as a professional football player that Thorpe was more successful and strongly tied to Ohio. He was associated with four professional or semi-professional football teams in Ohio as a player and coach: the Canton Bulldogs, the Cleveland Tigers, the Oorang Indians based in LaRue, and the Portsmouth Shoe-Steels. His greatest success was with the Canton Bulldogs, which he led to win national championships in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1919. From 1922-1923 he was a player and coach for the Oorang Indians, a National Football League team comprised of all native players. The majority of the Oorang Indians team members, like Thorpe, had played at Carlisle. The team owner, Robert Lingo, used the team and Thorpes celebrity to advertise his Oorang Kennels Company, particularly his Airedale terriers. Thorpe played another season with the Bulldogs in 1926 and then went to Portsmouth as a player-coach for the semi-professional Portsmouth Shoe-Steels in 1927. This was Thorpes last athletic job. During the 1930s and 1940s he worked a variety of jobs until he died of a heart attack in 1953.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07881 Subjects: Thorpe, Jim, 1887-1953; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports; Football players; Football--Ohio--History; Sports teams Places: LaRue (Ohio); Marion County (Ohio)
Description: The Cleveland Indians won the American League championship in 1948, the year this pennant was produced. The Indians went on to win the World Series later that year. The team also set an attendance record of 2,602,627 in 1948 and lead American League in batting average and E.R.A. (earned run average). The pennant is made of red, white, and yellow felt with red and white lettering and measures approximately 8.5" x 23.75" (21 x 60 cm). Although professional baseball in Cleveland dates back to 1869, Cleveland played in the first American League game April 24, 1901 at Chicago. Due to rain, all of the other games scheduled for that date were rained out. The Cleveland team, known as the Blues in 1901 and the Broncos in 1902, became the Naps in 1903 in honor of future Hall of Fame player Napoleon Lajoie. When Lajoie left the team in 1914, the name Cleveland Indians was chosen for the team. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1660_1820896_001 Subjects: Sports; Baseball; Sports teams; Flags; Cleveland Indians (Baseball team) Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph identified as the 1898 Central High School football team. The chalk board in the front row reads "C.H.S. Champions, 1898." There were multiple Central High Schools in Ohio during the 1890s--the one seen here may be in Columbus, Canton or Cleveland. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS3511 Subjects: Portrait photography; Football players; Athletes; Sports teams Places: Ohio
Description: Dated ca. 1864, this is a photograph of the Ripley, Ohio, Cricket Club. The athletes' names are handwritten on the reverse; Will B[...], Jeff Johnson, Charlie D. Campball, J.Z.A. Portar, Chambars Leggeff, Frank Osborn, Howard Johnson, Bailey Hudson, Henry Stroutemburg (field captain), John K. Greenbow (field captain), and Hugh Hood. Written later is "Charles Delavan Campbell, third from left standing." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC1125_01 Subjects: Cricket; Photography--Ohio; Athletes; Sports teams Places: Ripley (Ohio); Brown County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing members of the Clintonville high school basketball team, taken from the school's paper, The Clintonian, ca. 1916. The boys are identified as (left to right): Isbell, Hollenback, Manager Jacobs, Captain Zuber, Shapter, Long, Spangler, Coach. This image was included in a "Memory Book" compiled by Mrs. H. V. Cottrell, historian for the Clinton League (sometimes called the Clinton Welfare League) from 1938-1943. The book shows the development of the Clintonville neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio, and records the history of the League. The Clinton League was a women's group founded in 1912 to promote child welfare and later general welfare in Columbus, but which was based in and primarily focused on the area of Clintonville. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P285_MB1_137 Subjects: Clintonville (Ohio); Clinton League; Women--Charities; School buildings; Education--Ohio; Basketball teams; Sports--Ohio--History; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Toledo State Hospital baseball team photographSave
Description: Mounted group photograph showing the Toledo State Hospital baseball team, posed with their equipment and their win-loss record for the 1897 season. The twelve team members are identified by last name and position beneath the photograph. In the back row, left to right, are Long (pitcher), Fink (pitcher), Langon (sub), Willard (center fielder) and Bentley (third base). In the center row, left to right, are Rockeyfellow (right field), Vaughn (second base), Hays (first base), Geey (left fielder) and Horan (shortstop). The two men in front are Brenitt (catcher) and Shuck (pitcher).
Originally known as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane, the institution opened in 1888 on a 150-acre plat at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Arlington Avenue. It was the first institution in the United States to be built on the cottage plan; the grounds were situated in a park-like setting and housed a complex of 34 buildings. The name was changed to the Toledo State Hospital in 1894, and the Northwest Ohio Psychiatric Hospital now occupies the site. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS2530 Subjects: Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Psychiatric hospitals--Ohio; Baseball teams; Sports--Ohio--History; Places: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use