Central group of buildings at Union Village photographSave
Description: Dated July 1937, this photograph shows the central street of Union Village, also referred to as Shakertown. The first building on the left appears to be Marble Hall. A note on the photograph's reverse reads "View of the central group of buildings at the old Shaker settlement, 3 miles east of Lebanon, Ohio, formerly known as Union Village and commonly as Shakertown. Now the Otterbein Home, conducted for the aged and the orphans of the United Brethren Church. The entire tract of 4,500 acres formerly belonging to the Shakers is now know as Shaker Acres." Union Village was the first, and largest, Shaker community west of the Allegheny Mountains, and was established in 1805. By the 1940's, Union Village was the second largest Shaker settlement with a population of 700. The village was disbanded in 1912 and the last building was demolished in 1965.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F07_017_001 Subjects: Warren County (Ohio); Shakers--Ohio--Union Village--Pictorial works; Shakers--North Union (Ohio); Religion in Ohio; Historical societies Places: Union Village (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
The North Family group of buildings at Union Village, Warren County, OhioSave
Description: This is a picture of "The North Family" Shaker village at Union Village. The village is 3 miles west of Lebanon, Ohio. There are several empty buildings on either side of the dirt road that runs through the picture.
The back of the photo reads, ""The North Family" group of buildings at Union Village (Shakertown) 3 miles west of Lebanon, Ohio, now known as The Otterbein Home. The central building of the picture was the broom factory and the one to the left, now used as a hospital for the home, was a group residence".
Union Village was the first, and largest, Shaker community west of the Allegheny Mountains, and was established in 1805. By the 1940's, Union Village was the second largest Shaker settlement with a population of 700.
The village was disbanded in 1912, and the last building was demolished in 1965.
For more information, please visit the Warren County Historical Society.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F07_016_001 Subjects: Warren County (Ohio)--Pictorial works; Shakers--Ohio--Union Village--Pictorial works; Shakers--North Union (Ohio); Places: Union Village (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: Home of Philip H. Sheridan in Somerset, Ohio. Somerset is a village in Perry County. The population was 1,549 at the 2000 census. General Sheridan is memorialized by Ohio's only equestrian Civil War statue, which stands in the center square in a small park in the middle of the traffic circle.
Sheridan (1831-1888) was born to Irish immigrants John and Mary Sheridan, who settled in Somerset, Ohio. As a young man, he graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point. When the Civil War broke out, Sheridan was a captain in the army; by the end of the war, he had been promoted to major general. Just before his death he became the fourth man to receive the rank of full general, following George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant, and William T. Sherman. Over the course of his career he held numerous important positions, including Commander of the Army of the Shenandoah, military governor of Texas and Louisiana, and commander in chief of the U.S. Army. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC2855_E1_01_01 Subjects: Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military officers--Union Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: Home of Philip H. Sheridan in Somerset, Ohio. Somerset is a village in Perry County, Ohio, United States. The population was 1,549 at the 2000 census. General Sheridan is memorialized by Ohio's only equestrian Civil War statue, which stands in the center square in a small park in the middle of the traffic circle.
Sheridan (1831-1888) was born to Irish immigrants John and Mary Sheridan, who settled in Somerset, Ohio. As a young man, he graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point. When the Civil War broke out, Sheridan was a captain in the army; by the end of the war, he had been promoted to major general. Just before his death he became the fourth man to receive the rank of full general, following George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant, and William T. Sherman. Over the course of his career he held numerous important positions, including Commander of the Army of the Shenandoah, military governor of Texas and Louisiana, and commander in chief of the U.S. Army. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC2855_E1_02_01 Subjects: Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military officers--Union Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: Birds Eye View of Columbus, Ohio by Caldwell & Gould civil engineers. Drawn by H.H. & O.H. Bailey. Printed by Strobridge & Co. Lith. Cincinnati. O. Published by Fowler & Bailey
The statehouse, Union Station, and the Scioto River are prominent features of 19th century Columbus.
View extends from the penitentiary and Goodale Park in the North to German Village in the South, and from Franklinton in the West to The Ohio State School for the Deaf in the East. An *asterisk* indicates the building stands today.
Legend along left:
1 Capitol *Broad & High*
2 U.S. Arsenal
3 State Arsenal
4 Blind Asylum
5 Deaf and Dumb Asylum *East Town Street*
7 Medical Institute
9 City Hall
10 High School
11 Public Schools
12 Goodale Park
13 Hannah Neil Mission
14 John L. Gill's Car & Car and Agricultural Works
16 Cathedral (Catholic) *East Broad & Fifth Street*
17 Church of the Holy Cross (Catholic)
18 St. Patrick's (Catholic)
19 Town Street (Methodist)
20 Bigelow Chapel (Methodist)
21 German (Methodist)
22 Wesley Chapel (Methodist)
23 Congregational *South Third Street*
26 St. Paul's Lutheran
27 German (Lutheran)
28 English (Lutheran)
31 Episcopal *East Broad & Third Street* View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS5682 Subjects: Maps; Pictorial maps; Columbus (Ohio)--1872; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This color image shows a view of the business district of Chardon, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The perspective is looking toward the street from Chardon Square Park. In the center foreground of the image is a raised platform around which is a ring of lampposts. Chardon Courthouse Square District was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland's mayor, 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06624 Subjects: Buildings; Business and Labor; National Register of Historic Places; Historic buildings--Ohio; Geauga County (Ohio) Places: Chardon (Ohio); Geauga County (Ohio)
Description: This broadside, printed in 1791, commemorates the Columbian Tragedy, a reference to the Battle of the Wabash, also known as "St. Clair's Defeat." The battle occurred on November 4, 1791, near several Miami villages along the Wabash River in what is now Mercer County, Ohio. At daybreak that morning, a large alliance of American Indians, led by Shawnee chief Weyapiersenwah (Blue Jacket) and Miami chief Mishikinakwa (Little Turtle), surprised and overwhelmed an American army of about 1,600 men under Major General Arthur St. Clair, wounding or killing over half of the unprepared troops. The conflict is known as the greatest Indian victory over American military forces in the nation's history. 39 officers, whose names are listed on this broadside, were killed, along with over 900 soldiers. Also included on the broadside are engravings of Major General Richard Butler, who was killed in the battle, and a scene titled "Bloody Indian Battle Fought at Miami Village, Nov. 4, 1791," as well as a lengthy funeral elegy.. The location of the Columbian Tragedy is now the site of Fort Recovery State Memorial and the village of Fort Recovery. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS2500 Subjects: American Indians--Warfare; St. Clair, Arthur, 1734-1818; Battlefields; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Little Turtle, 1747?-1812 Places: Fort Recovery (Ohio); Mercer County (Ohio)
Description: Aerial view photograph of Shaker Heights, Ohio, looking to the north. The houses on the lower edge of the image face Shaker Boulevard. The road on the left is Leighton Road, while the one on the right is Southington Road.
Original description reads: "Shaker Hts. residences (Shaker Lake in background)."
The city's name has origins in two local sources: the community was laid out on land formerly owned by the North Union Community of the United Society of Believers, more commonly known as Shakers, and "Heights" refers to the plateau east of Cleveland that rises sharply in elevation from 582 feet above sea level at the base of the Cedar Glen Parkway to 950 feet above sea level in nearby Cleveland Heights; Shaker Heights' elevation is 1050 feet above sea level.
Ralph Russell established the North Union Settlement in 1822 with just over 80 individuals. In 1826, the group dammed Doan Brook, thus creating the Lower Lake and establishing a gristmill and a sawmill. Later, in 1854, the community built a second dam, creating the Upper Lake, and constructed another mill. Also called "The Valley of God's Pleasure," the colony peaked around 1850 with about 300 settlers. As the Shakers practiced celibacy, the colony faded away and was closed in 1889. In 1905, the land was bought by brothers M.J. and O.P. Van Sweringen, who envisioned the first garden-styled suburb in Ohio for the site. The brothers constructed homes, set aside land for churches and schools, and planted trees. Originally referred to as Shaker Village, the community was incorporated in 1912 and reached city status in the 1930s. Shaker Heights is known for its stringent building codes and zoning laws, which have helped to maintain the community's housing stock and identity throughout the years. Approximately seventy percent of the city of Shaker Heights is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Shaker Village Historic District.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F10_01_01 Subjects: Suburbs--Ohio--Cleveland; Aerial photography; United Society of Believers; Russell, Ralph; Van Sweringen, Oris Paxton, 1879-1936; Van Sweringen, Mantis James, 1881-1935; National Register of Historic Places Places: Shaker Heights (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Marble Hall, built in 1810, was the Shaker Trustees' Office in Union Village, one of the major Shaker villages. It was extensively remodeled in 1891-1892 in the Victorian style. It is located west of Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio. The photograph was taken ca 1940-1949. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00420 Subjects: Lebanon (Ohio) Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
12 matches on "Union Village (Ohio)"
1. Choose a delivery format
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use