Description: Caption reads: "One of the larger wine casks measuring about twelve feet in height. Wine is stored in these immediately after pressing for periods ranging from a few months to several years depending on the type of wine desired. It is then bottled and placed in racks to clear."
The E & K Winery began as the Engels and Krudwig Winery which operated from 1863 to 1959. It has since been reopened under the name E & K Winery. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F01A_007_1 Subjects: Business and Labor; Agriculture--Ohio--History.; Wine industry; Wine barrels Places: Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)
Description: This 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm) photograph of Lonz Winery on Middle Bass Island was taken in the 1960s. Lonz Winery was established by Peter Lonz (1857-1955) in 1884. His son George Lonz merged the Lonz and Golden Eagle Wine Cellars (established in 1866 by Andrew Wehrle) into one business in 1926. George studied chemistry and botany at Ohio Northern University, graduating in 1910. He used his scientific skills to experiment with grapes and wines, and tested his own products in a lab behind the winery. George Lonz purchased the wineries during Prohibition and on the eve of the Great Depression. He remained solvent during Prohibition by selling 100,000 gallons of grape juice per year. Some of his product was eventually sold to a Chicago firm which made it into champagne. The New Deal and the repeal of Prohibition brought new prosperity, and from 1934-1944 he rebuilt the old Wehrle Winery and added a boathouse and basin to the complex. During this time Lonz became one of the few American champagne makers. Through the 1960s, Lonz Winery continued to prosper on the strength of its high-quality wines and as a popular tourist attraction. Lonz constructed a pleasure boat marina behind the winery in 1968. George Lonz died in 1969, without heirs and before finding a buyer for the winery. For a time, profits from the winery were given to charity. In 1979, Meier's Wine Cellars, Inc., a division of Paramount Distilleries, Inc. in Cleveland, Ohio, purchased the Lonz Winery. Meier revitalized the winery by replanting the vineyards and restoring the buildings. The winery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3072_3670565_001 Subjects: Business and Labor; Architecture; Wine industry; National Register of Historic Places Places: Middle Bass (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
Description: The caption reads: "Wine ageing in Cellar of winery. Location - Erie region."
The sign on the front of the photograph says "White Star 1889." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F10_023_1 Subjects: Wine makers; Industry Places: Ohio
7 matches on "Wine industry"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use