Covenant Presbyterian Church entrance photographSave
Description: Caption reads: "Gothic Entrance: Covenant Presbyterian Church." The Covenant Presbyterian Church is located on the northwest corner of Limestone and North streets in Springfield, Ohio. In 1819, the First Presbyterian Society formed in Springfield with 27 members. Over the years, additional organizations formed: Second Presbyterian Church in 1861; Oakland Presbyterian Church in 1880; Third Presbyterian Church in 1880. The First and Second Presbyterian Church buildings were located downtown and by 1919 both were in need of new buildings. The churches joined as Covenant Presbyterian Church, named in honor of a 1638 covenant written in Scotland to maintain the purity of the Presbyterian faith. In 1926 the cornerstone was laid for a new church building. It was completed in November 1927. The church is an example of Late Gothic Revival architecture, contains approximately one and one-half acres of floor space, and features a 114-foot tower. It is built primarily of gray Indiana limestone to the design of George Savage, a Philadelphia architect. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F02_003_1 Subjects: Presbyterian Church in Ohio; Springfield (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)
Description: Illustration of the First Presbyterian Church in Cincinnati, from "Historical Collections of Ohio" by Henry Howe, 1847. The caption accompanying the illustration reads in part:"The engraving represents the first Presbyterian Church as it appeared in February, 1847. In the following spring it was taken down and the materials used for the construction of several dwellings in the western part of Cincinnati then called Texas. The greater proportion of the timber was found to be perfectly sound. The site was on Vine street just above where now is the Arcade. In 1791 a number of the inhabitants formed themselves into a company to escort the Rev. James Kemper from beyond the Kentucky River to Cincinnatl and, after his arrival, a subscription was set on foot to build this church, which was erected in 1792." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04030 Subjects: Hamilton County (Ohio); Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Church buildings--Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio);
Description: This photograph shows Findlay Market, located at the corner of Race and Elder Streets in Cincinnati, Ohio. Visible in the photograph are a vendor’s table, packing crates, passersby, and nearby storefronts. Findlay Market is the state’s oldest surviving municipal market and also the sole survivor among nine such institutions operating in Cincinnati in the 19th and early 20th century. The market was erected in 1852, but disputes with contractors and difficulties correcting problems with the new construction methods delayed its opening until 1855. It was built on land donated to the City of Cincinnati by the estate of General James Findlay (1770–1835) and Jane Irwin Findlay (1769–1851). Findlay Market was designed using a durable but unconventional cast- and wrought-iron frame, a construction technology that had been little used in the United States. The structure was among the first markets in the country to use iron-frame construction technology and is one of very few to have survived. Findlay Market is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Information on the back of the photograph reads: “Market scene. Elder and Race Street, Cincinnati. This photograph shows an outdoor market facing north on Race Street, near the corner of Elder Street, in Cincinnati. Muhlberg Drug stands at the corner of Elder Street, Cohen Shoes is visible at the corner of Glass Alley, and Wesley Chapel can be seen at the far end of the road.”
This image of Findlay Market is among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06200 Subjects: Markets--Ohio; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Church buildings--Ohio; Stores & shops Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Priory photographSave
Description: This photograph shows an exterior image of St. Joseph's Church and Priory, Somerset, Ohio, ca. 1935-1943. St. Joseph's Church, a log cabin erected in 1818, was the first Catholic church built in Ohio. This Gothic structure, which dates from 1843, is the third St. Joseph's Church erected on the site. The attached priority was dedicated in 1882. The church and priority are situated at the top of a gradual incline, behind an expanse of lawn and trees.
Father Edward Fenwick (1768-1832), a member of the Order of Friars Preachers (commonly known as the Dominicans), traveled from Kentucky to Ohio as a missionary in 1808. A year later Jacob and Catharine Dittoe deeded 320 acres of land to Father Fenwick for the site of a church. The first church was a small log cabin dedicated on December 6, 1818, by Father Fenwick and his nephew, Father Nicholas Dominic Young. It had a dirt floor and measured only 18 feet by 22 feet. In 1821 Father Fenwick became the first Bishop of Cincinnati, a new diocese.
Membership in St. Joseph's Church continued to grow, as did the number of priestly vocations. In 1828 a brick church replaced the log cabin, and a priory for resident friars was completed in 1837. A college for the education of future priests was completed in 1854. In 1843 the current Gothic structure was dedicated, four years after its construction began.
In 1864 fire destroyed the priority and left only the church's brick shell. The church was rebuilt three years later, and the college was demolished to make way for the 1882 priory.
St. Joseph's Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06172 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Perry County (Ohio); Fenwick, Edward D. (Edward Dominic), 1768-1832; Dominicans; Somerset (Ohio); Cultural Ohio--Education; National Register of Historic Places Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: A group of painters using scaffolding and ladders paint the window frames of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church at the intersection of West Woodruff Avenue and North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor. Designed and constructed by the architectural firm of Brooks and Coddington, St. Stephen's was completed in 1954 and consecrated in 1957.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B10F260_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Church buildings--Ohio; Painters -- Ohio; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Wesley Chapel, Fifth Street between Broadway and Sycamore, demolished 1972. Red brick Georgian revival structure in imitation of John Wesley's original chapel in London. Once the largest meeting place west of the Allegheny Mountains, chapel held the funeral of William Henry Harrison.
Marker in pediment reads: "Methodist Episcopal Church erected 18-1" Sign at right reads: "The church's one foundation is Jesus Christ her lord 10:45 7:45" Reverse reads: "Cinci., O. Sept. 1937 Methodist Episcopal Church Wesley Chapel." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_033_1 Subjects: Methodist Episcopal Church; Church buildings--Ohio; Cincinnati (Ohio)--History; Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912, this photograph shows a church and its congregation. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed "Ewing Brothers" and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934. The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV71_b11_f654 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Portrait photography--United States--History; Church buildings Places: Ohio; West Virginia
Description: This image of the spire of the First Congregational Church in Tallmadge, Ohio, was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
The First Congregational Church of Tallmadge was established by Reverend David Bacon in 1809. For the first several years, the congregation's services were held in Reverend Bacon's cabin. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, 1825, the structure is considered to be a perfect example of the pure Connecticut-type of Federal architecture. The Historic Tallmadge Church is currently maintained by the Ohio Historical Society.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06384 Subjects: First Congregational Church (Tallmadge, Ohio); Church buildings--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; United States. Work Projects Administration Places: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use