Description: Painting of national colors of the 100th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Rectangular flag measures 177 cm high by 200 cm wide. Text on flag reads: Presented by the Citizens of Toledo to the 100th Reg't O.V.I. Limeston. Siege of Knoxville. Rockyface. Resaca. Dallas. Eutoy Creek. Atlanta. Columbia. Franklin. Nashville. Town-Creek. Wilmington. East Tennessee. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL02538 Subjects: Flags--Ohio; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Description: The Ironton Municipal Swimming Pool was constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration, photo taken 1937-1943
Established in 1849 by John Campbell, Ironton was placed along the Ohio River to expedite transport of the area's rich iron-ore reserves. The Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad opened in 1851 and is one of the earliest rail lines to operate in the state. In 1833 the first hot blast furnace in America was built nearby, now owned by U. S. Forest Service as Vesuvius Federal Recreation Area and Lake. Until 1890 Ironton was among the predominant producers of iron in the world.
Ironton has also been credited as being part of the Underground Railroad. Campbell and other prominent citizens helped hide slaves in their homes.
Flooding devastated the city in 1917 and again 20 years later. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F04_003_001_002 Subjects: Railroad; Iron industry; Swimming; Works Progress Administration; Community; Recreation; 1936 Places: Ironton (Ohio); Ohio River; Lawrence County (Ohio)
Buckland Lock at the Wabash and Erie Canal photographSave
Description: This photograph shows the Buckland Lock, part of the Wabash and Erie Canal system. Located near Grand Rapids, Ohio, Buckland was a guard lock from the slackwater at Providence Dam into the Miami and Erie Canal. Boats coming from the Gilead Canal across the Maumee River locked back into the Miami and Erie Canal at this point.
During the late 1810s, Governor Thomas Worthington and Governor Ethan Allen Brown both supported the development of canals in Ohio. Both men believed that Ohioans needed quick and easy access to the Ohio River and to Lake Erie if they were to profit financially. Farmers and business owners would be able to transport their products much more easily and cheaply with canals rather than turnpikes. Canals would also possibly open up new markets for Ohio goods.
The Wabash and Erie Canal opened in 1845 and made Toledo a growing seaport and center of commerce along Lake Erie. In addition to the Wabash and Erie Canal, Toledo was connected to the city of Cincinnati by way of the Miami and Erie Canal.
The Wabash and Erie Canal intersected with the Miami and Erie Canal at the town of Junction, Ohio. From Junction the canals proceeded as one to Defiance, Toledo, and Lake Erie.
Most canals remained in operation in Ohio until the late 1800s. By the 1850s, however, canals were losing business to the railroads, which offered several advantages. Railroads delivered passengers and goods more quickly, and they were not limited by a water source as canals were. Because of these advantages, railroads quickly supplanted the canals. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06115 Subjects: Wabash and Erie Canal (Ind. and Ohio); Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio); Canals--Ohio--History--19th century; Grand Rapids (Ohio); Transportation--Ohio--History; Places: Grand Rapids (Ohio); Wood County (Ohio)
Description: This 1.8 by 2.3-inch (4.57 by 5.84 cm) photograph shows Benjamin W. Arnett (1836-1906), a member of the Ohio House of Representatives during its 67th session (1886-1887). Arnett, a Republican, represented Greene County. He was born in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. A teacher and bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Arnett moved to Ohio in 1867. He served as pastor and teacher at churches in Cincinnati, Toledo, Urbana, and Columbus. In 1886, as a Republican representative from Greene County in the Ohio General Assembly, Arnett introduced legislation to repeal the state's "Black Laws." First enacted in 1803, Ohio's "Black Laws" limited the freedom and rights of African American residents. Arnett was particularly concerned that state law did not ensure that black children had the same educational opportunities as white children. In 1887, statutes regarding education were changed; the state was thereafter required to provide equal opportunities to all children regardless of race. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om871_806473_004 Subjects: African American Ohioans; Ohio Government; Education; Civil Liberties; Religion in Ohio; Segregation--Laws and legislation Places: Greene County (Ohio); Wilberforce (Ohio)
John A. Watterson bishop consecration event advertisementSave
Description: Dated 1880, this broadside advertises the consecration of Reverend John A. Watterson as bishop of the Diocese of Columbus at St. Joseph's Cathedral in Columbus, Ohio, on Sunday, August 8th, 1880. The advertisement also describes a special train schedule for the event provided by the Columbus & Toledo Railroad Company. John Ambrose Watterson (1844 – 1899) served as Bishop of Columbus from 1880 until his death, and is the namesake of Bishop Watterson High School. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS4023 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio); Religious services; Clergy; Railroads--Ohio; Rites and ceremonies Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use