Description: Reverse reads: "Cinci., O., 1937. Stadium, Univ. of Cinci."
This photograph show the south end of Nippert Stadium, with Schmidlapp Hall behind.
Nippert Stadium was completed in 1924 as a memorial to James Gamble Nippert, a law student at the University of Cincinnati who died in 1923 as a result blood poisoning from a spike wound received during a football contest. His grandfather, James H. Gamble, a soap manufacturer donated $250,000, as a memorial, to help complete the 12,000 seat stadium.
Home of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats football team, has undergone multiple expansions and renovations through the years. The first was a W.P.A. sponsored seating capacity expansion in 1936, which lowered Carson Field 12 feet and doubled the stadium’s original capacity, now seating 24,000. Renovations again took place in 1954, adding the Reed Shank Pavillon and raising capacity to 28,000. More renovations were completed from 1989 to 1992 which expanded the stadium’s capacity to 35,000.
Schmidlapp Hall was completed in 1910 at a cost of $97,000 by architects Tietig Lee and Garber & Woodward. It was the university’s gymnasium, home of UC’s Bearcats basketball team, and athletic facility as well as housing the University of Cincinnati ROTC unit for a time. In 1995 it was renamed the Dieterle Vocal Arts Center (DVAC) and is the center of nearly all choral and vocal activity for the university’s College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) with many studios and rehearsal rooms View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F04_03_01 Subjects: University of Cincinnati; Education; Universities and colleges; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; College campuses--Ohio; University of Cincinnati. Bearcats (Football team); Football stadiums--Ohio; University of Cincinnati--Buildings--Pictorial works; University of Cincinnati. Bearcat Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph, which measures approximately 5" by 7" (12.5 by 18 cm), shows Warren G. Harding on a golf course holding a child. It was taken between 1920 and 1923. Warren Gamaliel Harding (1865-1923) was born in Corsica (now called Blooming Grove), a small town in Morrow County, Ohio. Harding graduated from Ohio Central College in Iberia at the age of sixteen. His family moved to Marion, where Harding taught school and briefly studied law. He worked occasionally as a reporter for a local paper before buying the Marion Star in 1884. Within five years, the Star was one of the most successful small-town newspapers in the state. Harding became popular as the leader of the Citizen's Coronet Band, which played at political rallies, and for his skill as an orator. Willing to follow the lead of political bosses, Harding advanced rapidly in Ohio politics, serving as state senator and lieutenant governor. In 1914 Harding was elected to the U. S. Senate. He launched his famous "front porch" 1920 presidential campaign from the porch of his Victorian home in Marion, Ohio. He won the presidency with sixty percent of the popular vote, promising a "return to normalcy" following the wave of reforms begun during Theodore Roosevelt's administration. As President, Harding appointed several friends to federal office who proved untrustworthy. His administration was tainted by corruption, and the infamous "Teapot Dome" scandal (in which Harding's Secretary of the Interior leased a U.S. petroleum reserve to a private oil company) nearly destroyed his presidency. After he died in office in August 1923, other scandals were uncovered, further tarnishing Harding's reputation. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1523_1505060_007 Subjects: Presidents and Politics; Sports; Presidential elections; Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923; Golf Places: Marion (Ohio); Marion County (Ohio)
Description: An image of the 1890 Ohio State Football Team. Players are in two rows, in jerseys emblazoned with "OSU". The Ohio State University (OSU) fielded their first football team in 1890. The formation of the team is due largely to George N. Cole, a student at the university who purchased their first football, and convinced his friend Alexander S. Lilley to be the unpaid first coach. He also asked another friend, Knowlton Lymon “Snake” Ames to demonstrate how to kick the ball. The captains of the 1890 team were Paul Lincoln and Jessie Jones. Their first game was played against Ohio Wesleyan University on May 3, 1890, in which OSU won 20-14. It was the only game that spring, and football resumed in the fall. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07670 Subjects: Football; Ohio State University--Football; Sports--Ohio--History Places: Columbus (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing a man identified as "Mr. Nixon" greeting the athletes at a polo match hosted by River Ridge Riding and Polo Club. The photograph was originally preserved in the scrapbook of Ruth Herndon. The caption beneath the photograph reads: "Mr. Nixon congratulating the players." The caption at the top of the page where the photograph is preserved reads: "The 1932 Polo Season Opens When River Ridge Meets Ohio State on May 30." Ruth Weinman Herndon (1907-2002) was a life-long resident of Columbus, Ohio. Born September 6, 1907, she was the daughter of Henrietta Heinmiller Weinman (1869-1957) and William Nelson Weinman (1868-1950), owner of the Weinman Pump Manufacturing Company. The Weinmans were a prominent German-American family in central Ohio throughout the twentieth century. Ruth lived with her parents at 380 King Avenue in Columbus until 1914, when her parents hired Columbus architect Frank Packard to build a home at 1445 Roxbury Road in Marble Cliff. After graduating from Columbus School for Girls in 1925, Ruth studied sociology at Ohio State University, graduating in 1929. She married L. Kermit Herndon. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MSS1344AV_B03_BOOK01_040 Subjects: Athletes; Horseback riding; Horses--Training; Societies and clubs; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports; Animals; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Two photographs document Camp Perry near Port Clinton, Ohio. A lack of soldiers with marksmanship skills in the Spanish-American War led to the founding of Camp Perry in 1906. Camp Perry grew to be one of the largest rifle ranges in the United States. It was used to train soldiers during World War I and World War II. The camp also housed German and Italian prisoners of war during World War II. Later, Camp Perry became a training facility for the Ohio National Guard. It also hosts the National Rifle Matches sponsored by the National Rifle Association (NRA). The photographs measure 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3074_3671404_001 Subjects: Military Ohio; Sports; Camps; Sharpshooting; Targets (Sports); Rifle ranges; Military training Places: Port Clinton (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
Jim Crum Interviewing Jack Nicklaus photographSave
Description: These photographs show James (Jimmy) Crum, sports director at NBC 4 in Columbus, interviewing golfer Jack Nicklaus at the 1970 Columbus Pro-Am Golf Spectacular held at Brookside Country Club. The event benefitted Dispatch Charities and Children's Hospital. Participants included Jack Nicklaus, Doug Sanders and Bobby Cole. Nicklaus presented the L. Charles Nicklaus Memorial Trophy to amateurs Carl Mengali and Bob Hoag, who each scored two-under-par 70. The photographs measure 2" x 2" (5.08 x 5.08 cm). Jack William Nicklaus was born in Columbus, Ohio on January 21, 1940. Nicklaus amassed an amazing array of achievements in his career, among which are 20 major championship wins and 100 professional victories worldwide. Nicklaus holds the record for Masters wins (6), and shares the record for PGA championships (5) and U.S. Open titles (4). Nicknamed the "Golden Bear," Nicklaus was known on the course for his intense focus, powerful drives and uncommon sportsmanship. He also became a renowned golf course designer. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3121_4875022_001 Subjects: Sports; Golf; Golfers; Sportscasters, Nicklaus, Jack Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing Ruth Weinman Herndon riding a horse at the River Ridge Riding and Polo Club. The caption reads beneath the photograph: "Ruth on Sonny Boy." Ruth Weinman Herndon (1907-2002) was a life-long resident of Columbus, Ohio. Born September 6, 1907, she was the daughter of Henrietta Heinmiller Weinman (1869-1957) and William Nelson Weinman (1868-1950), owner of the Weinman Pump Manufacturing Company. The Weinmans were a prominent German-American family in central Ohio throughout the twentieth century. Ruth lived with her parents at 380 King Avenue in Columbus until 1914, when her parents hired Columbus architect Frank Packard to build a home at 1445 Roxbury Road in Marble Cliff. After graduating from Columbus School for Girls in 1925, Ruth studied sociology at Ohio State University, graduating in 1929. She married L. Kermit Herndon. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MSS1344AV_B03_BOOK01_007 Subjects: Women; Horseback riding; Horses--Training; Societies and clubs; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports; Animals; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Lazarus Company window display--Ohio State University stadiumSave
Description: Photograph of a 1951 F. & R. Lazarus Company store window display featuring the dedication of Ohio State University's stadium on October 21, 1922. Tubby Essington led the 110-piece Ohio State band, Miss Eloise Fromme was the "Stadium Girl," and the University of Michigan's band, the Wolverines, paraded. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer in existence. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04386 Subjects: Ohio State University; Lazarus Department Store; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "Athletic field under construction at Northridge High School 193[?] North of Dayton, Ohio."
This is a photograph of two unidentified men doing construction on Northridge High School's athletic field in Northridge, Ohio.
This construction was a part of the Works Progress Administration project, a government office that hired unemployed Americans to work on various government projects from April 8, 1935 to June 30, 1943. In the first six months that the WPA existed, more than 173, 000 Ohioans, including both men and women, found employment through this program. More than 1, 500 unemployed teachers in Ohio found work through the WPA teaching illiterate adults how to read. In twelve separate counties, primarily in southeastern Ohio, more than twenty-five percent of families had at least one member working for the WPA during the late 1930s. By the end of 1938, these various workers had built or improved 12, 300 miles of roads and streets and constructed 636 public buildings, several hundred bridges, hundreds of athletic fields, and five fish hatcheries. WPA employees made improvements to thousands of more buildings, roads, and parks within Ohio. WPA artists also painted a number of murals in Ohio post offices. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F06_026_001 Subjects: High schools--Ohio--Northridge; Earthmoving machinery; Sports and recreation facilities; Education; Sports; Athletic fields; Schools--Ohio; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Northridge (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
437 matches on "sport* baseball football basketball"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use