Description: Southwest corner Plum and Eighth Sts, 325 W 8th St., Cincinnati, Ohio.
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral has been located in Cincinnati since the early years of Ohio statehood. As the population of the city and the state grew in the first decades of the nineteenth century, the original cathedral was not large enough. The Roman Catholic population in the region grew significantly, especially as German immigrants moved to the region. In 1840, Bishop John Purcell purchased the land to build a new, much larger, building. Construction of the cathedral began in 1841 and was completed in 1845. Architect Henry Walter designed the new cathedral, utilizing elements from classical Greek architecture in its design. At the time, St. Peter in Chains was the tallest building in the city.
As Cincinnati continued to grow and change over time, the Cathedral's location proved to be detrimental. By the 1930s, few of the parish's members still lived near the church, and the neighborhood surrounding it had deteriorated. Archbishop John T. McNichols moved the diocese headquarters to Fairview, abandoning the old cathedral in 1938. This change only lasted until 1950, when Archbishop Karl J. Alter decided to return to St. Peter in Chains. Alter recognized that city leaders wanted to revitalize the downtown, and determined that a restored and enlarged cathedral could be an important part of the renovations. Work was completed by 1957, with the rededication ceremony taking place on November 3, 1957.
Because of Cincinnati's prominence in the West in the nineteenth century and the diocese's continued leadership in the twentieth century, St. Peter in Chains Cathedral has hosted the ordination of many bishops, priests, and deacons.
Reverse reads: "Cinci. O. Sept. 1937, St Peters" View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_004_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Catholic church--Ohio--Cincinnati Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: The first women's college chartered in the state of Ohio, Ursuline College opened in 1871 in downtown Cleveland as part of the educational mission of the Order of St. Ursula (O.S.U.). Founded in Italy in 1535 with an early presence in North America, this order established its first religious teaching community in Cleveland in 1850, led by foundress Mother Mary of the Annunciation Beaumont, O.S.U. The college's growth prompted four moves in Cleveland and subsequently to the Pepper Pike campus in 1966. Ursuline holds the distinction as one of the first catholic women's colleges in the United States organized and chartered explicitly for college education.
This building served as the convent and college from 1893 to 1902. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, a well known architect in Cleveland, Ohio. The school was suspended from 1902 to 1922 to prepare more teachers for parochial school and they moved to a new location. This building has since been demolished. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07681 Subjects: Architecture; Universities and colleges; Religious facilities Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: A young man wearing a turban and vest walks past Huntington Bank at 1928 North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. Another man sits on a stool with his back to the camera at the bank's window, and a man and woman speak near the entrance. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B11F301_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Pedestrians; Religion in Ohio; Banks and banking; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "St. Monica Church -- W. McMillan near ravine."
Exterior front of St. Monica - St. George's Catholic Church, Cincinnati, Ohio. 328 West McMillan St., Clifton Heights / Fairview neighborhood.
Completed in 1927, this early Christian Basilica style building was designed by Edward J. Schulte and Robert Crowe. It is made of gray limestone and instead of the conventional front entrance, a great crucification group, by Clement J. Barnhorn (who was award the Sax prize for this work in 1930), stands in bas-relief, extending across the main facade. The altar is marble, surmounted by a baldicino of pierced brass, on which rests a bronze figure of St. Monica, also the work of Barnhorn. A great mural on the apse dome has a background of pure gold relief, and was painted by Carl Zimmerman.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_013_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Catholic church--Ohio--Cincinnati; Schulte, Edward, 1890-1975; Crowe, Robert Emmett, 1881-1944; Barnhorn, Clement J. Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. Francis Hospital was significant as it was the first institution in the United States, governed by a single board of trustees, designed to combine patient care and clinical teaching in the same building. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis served the hospital during its existence. Starling Medical College was the forerunner of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, and St. Francis Hospital continued as a teaching hospital until it closed in 1955 and was later razed in 1957. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07683 Subjects: Medicine; Universities and colleges; Hospitals; Religious facilities Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use