Description: This 1.8 by 2.3-inch (4.57 by 5.84 cm) photograph shows Benjamin W. Arnett (1836-1906), a member of the Ohio House of Representatives during its 67th session (1886-1887). Arnett, a Republican, represented Greene County. He was born in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. A teacher and bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Arnett moved to Ohio in 1867. He served as pastor and teacher at churches in Cincinnati, Toledo, Urbana, and Columbus. In 1886, as a Republican representative from Greene County in the Ohio General Assembly, Arnett introduced legislation to repeal the state's "Black Laws." First enacted in 1803, Ohio's "Black Laws" limited the freedom and rights of African American residents. Arnett was particularly concerned that state law did not ensure that black children had the same educational opportunities as white children. In 1887, statutes regarding education were changed; the state was thereafter required to provide equal opportunities to all children regardless of race. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om871_806473_004 Subjects: African American Ohioans; Ohio Government; Education; Civil Liberties; Religion in Ohio; Segregation--Laws and legislation Places: Greene County (Ohio); Wilberforce (Ohio)
Description: Group photograph taken during a party held in honor of Mrs. Ernest Scott of Clintonville, outside the small community auditorium built by the St. James Church known as the Guild Room. Individuals identified in the photograph include Reverend Grecter (possibly Rev. Clarence Graham Rector), Mrs. Bertram, Miss Moon, Mrs. Weber, Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Gardner, Mrs. Daniel, Lora Weber, Elizabeth Taylor, Mrs. Huddleson, Mrs. Thomas, [Rear] Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Guthrie, Mildred Guthrie, Mrs. Austin, Miss Moon, and Miss Kimie. This image was included in a "Memory Book" compiled by Mrs. H. V. Cottrell, historian for the Clinton League (sometimes called the Clinton Welfare League) from 1938-1943. The book shows the development of the Clintonville neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio, and records the history of the League. The Clinton League was a women's group founded in 1912 to promote child welfare and later general welfare in Columbus, but which was based in and primarily focused on the area of Clintonville. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P285_MB1_123 Subjects: Clintonville (Ohio); Clinton League; Women--Charities; Columbus (Ohio)--History; Churches Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows the round tower of the St. Raphael Church elementary school. This 3-story stone building, built in 1890, began as the United States Post Office with a construction cost of $150,000. Sometimes just called the United States Building, it was designed by Charles Creager in the Romanesque style. By 1898 the space had become inadequate and funding was received to begin renovations. An axillary station was established in the Crowell Publishing building until expansions were complete.
A new Post Office was built in 1934 at 150 North Limestone, which is probably when the old Post Office became the Saint Raphael Church elementary school. Formerly located on the corner of East High and South Spring Streets, the building was demolished in the 1960s to create more room for Parish parking. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_006 Subjects: Springfield (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc; Roman Catholic Church; Post office buildings Ohio; Catholic elementary schools--United States Places: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1943, this photograph shows Bristolville Methodist Church, also called Methodist Episcopal Church, in Bristolville, Ohio, in Trumbull County. Bristolville Methodist Church was built in 1845, expanded in 1881, and remodeled again in 1940. A fire destroyed the church in 1951. In 1934, members of the congregation celebrated 100 years of Methodism in Trumbull County. A note on the back of the photograph reads "Pub. in Warren, Ohio Guide."
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F06_040_001 Subjects: Churches; Religion in Ohio; Architecture; Works Progress Administration; Ohio Federal Writers' Project Places: Bristolville (Ohio); Trumbull County (Ohio)
Description: Southwest corner Plum and Eighth Sts, 325 W 8th St., Cincinnati, Ohio.
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral has been located in Cincinnati since the early years of Ohio statehood. As the population of the city and the state grew in the first decades of the nineteenth century, the original cathedral was not large enough. The Roman Catholic population in the region grew significantly, especially as German immigrants moved to the region. In 1840, Bishop John Purcell purchased the land to build a new, much larger, building. Construction of the cathedral began in 1841 and was completed in 1845. Architect Henry Walter designed the new cathedral, utilizing elements from classical Greek architecture in its design. At the time, St. Peter in Chains was the tallest building in the city.
As Cincinnati continued to grow and change over time, the Cathedral's location proved to be detrimental. By the 1930s, few of the parish's members still lived near the church, and the neighborhood surrounding it had deteriorated. Archbishop John T. McNichols moved the diocese headquarters to Fairview, abandoning the old cathedral in 1938. This change only lasted until 1950, when Archbishop Karl J. Alter decided to return to St. Peter in Chains. Alter recognized that city leaders wanted to revitalize the downtown, and determined that a restored and enlarged cathedral could be an important part of the renovations. Work was completed by 1957, with the rededication ceremony taking place on November 3, 1957.
Because of Cincinnati's prominence in the West in the nineteenth century and the diocese's continued leadership in the twentieth century, St. Peter in Chains Cathedral has hosted the ordination of many bishops, priests, and deacons.
Reverse reads: "Cinci. O. Sept. 1937, St Peters" View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_004_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Catholic church--Ohio--Cincinnati Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: The first women's college chartered in the state of Ohio, Ursuline College opened in 1871 in downtown Cleveland as part of the educational mission of the Order of St. Ursula (O.S.U.). Founded in Italy in 1535 with an early presence in North America, this order established its first religious teaching community in Cleveland in 1850, led by foundress Mother Mary of the Annunciation Beaumont, O.S.U. The college's growth prompted four moves in Cleveland and subsequently to the Pepper Pike campus in 1966. Ursuline holds the distinction as one of the first catholic women's colleges in the United States organized and chartered explicitly for college education.
This building served as the convent and college from 1893 to 1902. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, a well known architect in Cleveland, Ohio. The school was suspended from 1902 to 1922 to prepare more teachers for parochial school and they moved to a new location. This building has since been demolished. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07681 Subjects: Architecture; Universities and colleges; Religious facilities Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: A young man wearing a turban and vest walks past Huntington Bank at 1928 North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. Another man sits on a stool with his back to the camera at the bank's window, and a man and woman speak near the entrance. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B11F301_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Pedestrians; Religion in Ohio; Banks and banking; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use