: This is a photograph of a swallowtail guidon of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, Battery C.
This swallowtail stars and stripes pennant bears 34 stars: 18 in outer circle, 12 in inner circle, and one each in the canton's four corners.
The regiment was called upon April 21, 1861 in a letter to Colonel James Barnett from the Governor, William Dennison. Each Battery of the 1st has its own history and operated independently in battle. Their initial appointment was for three months, though most served an additional campaign for three to five years.
Battery C was quickly appointed to another 3 year campaign at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati and mustered into service on September 9, 1861. Major engagements in which the battery took part include Mill Springs, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, the Atlanta Campaign and Sherman's March to the Sea. The battery was mustered out at Camp Cleveland on June 15, 1865.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01817 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Battery C, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)