: Photograph of an American flag flying outside of a building on the campus of Wilberforce University, Wilberforce, Ohio. In 1856, the Methodist Episcopal Church established Wilberforce University near Xenia, Ohio, to provide African Americans access to a college education. The university was the first private black college in the United States, and was named by its founders after William Wilberforce, a prominent eighteenth-century abolitionist. A number of African American Ohioans attended the school during its early years. During the American Civil War, attendance declined as many students enlisted in the Union army. Wilberforce University closed in 1862.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL03811 Subjects
: Greene County (Ohio); Multicultural Ohio -- African American Ohioans; College buildings; Wilberforce University Places
: Wilberforce (Ohio); Greene County (Ohio);