: This photograph shows the Zoar grist mill that spanned the Ohio and Erie Canal near Zoar, Ohio, 1888. The mill was built in 1858 and operated by the Society of Separatists of Zoar until the dissolution of their communal economy in 1898.
Led by Joseph Bimeler in 1817, a group of Lutheran separatists left the area of Germany known as Wurttemberg and eventually established the small community of Zoar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. They would become known as the Society of Separatists of Zoar in 1819. Louis Baus was a prominent photographer in Cleveland, Ohio, who began his career with studio work, but in 1911 became a staff writer for the "Cleveland Advocate, " a local newspaper that was later purchased by the "Cleveland Plain Dealer." View on Ohio Memory.
: P223_B04_S02_A01_54 Subjects
: Zoar (Tuscarawas County, Ohio); Society of Separatists of Zoar; Communal Societies; Mills and mill-work -- Ohio; Canals -- Ohio; Places
: Zoar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)