: Illustration of the Jewish Synagogue located at the corner of Plum Street and Eighth in Cincinnati, from "Cincinnati, from 1800 to 1875, a condensed history of Cincinnati," by E. H. Austerlitz.
The cornerstone for the Plum Street Temple was laid on May 12, 1865, and the completed building was dedicated on August 24, 1866. Designed by James Keyes Wilson, it is constructed in the Byzantine-Moorish style--one of only two such synagogues in the United States. The longtime leader of the synagogue was Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, and Plum Street Temple is closely associated with the founding of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1873, the Hebrew Union College in 1875, and the Central Conference of American Rabbis in 1889. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04254 Subjects
: Jews--Social life and customs; Multicultural Ohio--Ethnic Communities; Religious facilities; Synagogues--Ohio--Cincinnati Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)