: Photograph of the downtown Columbus Civic Center featuring the State Office Building complex, October 15, 1936. The American Insurance Union Citadel (left), now known as the LeVeque Tower, was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper located at 50 West Broad Street was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, the American Insurance Union went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945.
Construction of the Ohio State Office Building (right) began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Modernistic style. The building was later known as the Ohio Judicial Center until 2011, when the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05687 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Rivers--Ohio; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)