: This picture postcard shows the Seneca Hotel, located on the corner of Broad and Grant Streets in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. Built in 1917, the Seneca was designed by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard (1866-1923). Ten stories high, the Seneca was first high-rise building in Columbus.
This postcard has two color images: one of the hotel's red brick exterior and the other of its elegant lobby and luxurious furnishings. A caption reads: " Seneca Hotel / Columbus, Ohio / Half Block East of Memorial Hall."
The Seneca Hotel ranked among the city's finest hotels for many years. For a time it housed the Ohio State Faculty Club and later was converted to offices for the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. In 1987 the Ohio EPA moved from the building, which remained closed until it underwent a $21 million renovation and reopened in 2008 as a 77-unit apartment building. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05862 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)