: This color image shows the parlor of the Mathews House, a historic building now located on the campus of Lake Erie College, Painesville, Ohio. The room's focal point is the ivory-colored fireplace, above which is hung a framed portrait of an older man with white hair and beard. Two tall windows with ivory-colored frames and sheer curtains frame the fireplace. Furnishings include a wingback chair upholstered in print fabric, a reddish ottoman, and two chairs.
Famed master architect and builder Jonathan Goldsmith (1783-1847) designed and built this well-proportioned Greek Revival-style residence for Dr. John H. Mathews in 1829. It is considered to be one of the finest Goldsmith houses. The house was moved to its present location on the campus of Lake Erie College from its original North State Street site in 1949. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06626 Subjects
: Historic buildings--Ohio; Greek revival (Architecture); National Register of Historic Places; Mathews, John Henry, 1785-1862; Goldsmith, Jonathan, 1783-1847 Places
: Painesville (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)