Island Park trailer camp   Save
Island Park trailer camp
Description: Caption reads: "Trailer camp at Island Park operated by the City of Dayton. A completely equipped municipal camp, for campers and 'trailerites.' In addition to parking facilities, city water, gas, electricity and police protection are furnished for 50¢ a night or $3.00 per week." Island Park opened on June 20, 1914, on the former location of White City Amusement Park in Dayton, Ohio. White City had been destroyed in the flood of 1913, and interest to rebuild it was sparked after the Dayton Canoe Club held its first regatta here on July 13, 1913. The park became an ideal location for canoeing, boating, ice skating, concerts, dancing, and general recreation, and remained a point of recreational focus for decades. Today it is known as Island MetroPark, operated by Five Rivers MetroParks. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F08_022
Subjects: Transportation--Ohio--History; Automobiles; Winter; Camping; Sports and leisure; Parks
Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)