: Dated ca. 1930-1939, this photograph shows the Kappa Sigma fraternity house at Denison University in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Construction was completed in 1842 and additions were added in 1875, 1930, and 1956-1979. It was the private residence of the Avery family, then Spelman, and the Downer families until 1903, when it became Denison University's Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity House. In 1930, it became the home of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity until it was converted back into a private residence in 1956. At the time this picture was taken, it was the Kappa Sigma Fraternity House. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F06_038 Subjects
: Architecture; Universities and colleges; Denison University; Greek letter societies; Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta; Kappa Sigma Fraternity Places
: Granville (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)