: Reverse reads "To be returned to Russell Stites ?. Stites Monument, Cincinnati, Ohio. Ohio Writers Project, 209 Greenwood Bldg."
Monument reads "To the Pioneers landing near this spot Nov. 18, 1788
Once called Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the Pioneer Memorial Cemetery is located at 333 Wilmer Avenue in the Columbia - Tusculum neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbia was settled in 1788, and is the oldest in Hamilton County, having been established one month prior to Losantiville (later called Cincinnati). The cemetery occupies the site of the Columbia Baptist Church, founded in 1790. This cemetery not only has Revolutionary and Cival War veterans, but also Benjamin Stites, the founder of Columbia. The Corinthian column was added in 1888, and was once part of the 1856 Cincinnati Post Office, designed by James Keys Wilson. In 1967 a restoration project was begun by Supervision Horticulturist for the Park Board, Frederick L. Payne, which took four years to complete. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places Austust 29, 1979. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F06_001_001 Subjects
: Cemeteries--Ohio--Hamilton County; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)