: Reverse reads: At last she knows Columbus. You can imagine what an impossible task it would be to convey to a blind person a concept of the layout of Columbus but here, Emogene Ritteger, a seventh grade pupil at the Ohio State School for the Blind, Columbus is learning Columbus quickly and easily by running her fingers over a map built by WPA workers to show the streets, scale models of important and rough models of other structures.
In 1837, the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Blind was established. In the 1900s, the school changed its name to the Ohio State School for the Blind, and the Ohio Department of Education took control of the school. In 1953, the school moved from Main Street in Columbus to 5220 North High Street. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B11F04_31_001 Subjects
: Ohio State School for the Blind; Ohio Institution for the Education of the Blind ; Blind--Education--Ohio--Columbus ; Columbus (Ohio)--Maps, Pictorial ; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.) Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)