: Reverse reads: "Herbrand Corp."
Herbrand Corporation was established in 1881 by Charles Thompson as a drop forging business. Jacob Herbrand was involved with the business as well, but information as to how is difficult to find. The company started by making springs and suspension systems and by 1900 was making many types of hand tools. In 1919, the company began using the “Van-Chrome” trademark for their alloy steel tools, which were possibly the first of this type to be made. By the 1930’s the company had broadened their product line to include a full range of automotive service tools such as sockets, wrenches, and pliers. In 1961 Herbrand was bought by Kelsey-Hayes Corporation, having found it increasingly difficult to complete with the growing tool industry. Manufacturing operations were moved to Spartanburg, North Carolina (and eventually to Toronto, Canada) the following year and the Fremont plant closed. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F02_027_001 Subjects
: Industries--Ohio; Drop-forging; Hand tools; Kelsey-Hayes Company Places
: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)