: This photograph shows the an area of downtown Youngstown, Ohio centered on the intersection of North Front Street and South Phelps Street, with the rolling hills of the suburbs in the distance.
The station for the Youngstown & Suburban Railway as well as the Pittsburgh, Libson & Western R.R. could be found 21 North Front Street, and is probably near the left side of the photograph.
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 30 West Front Street, is just visible at the bottom left corner of the photograph.
The Falcon Bronze Company (left of center in the photograph), located at 218 South Phelps, was incorporated in 1895. The brass founders were manufacturers of brass, bronze, and copper castings for rolling mills, steel plants and blast furnaces.
In front of Falcon Bronze is a sign for “Parking” for a “? ‘s Super Service Station” in the 100 block of West Front Street.
The Hotel Ohio (also called The Ohio or Ohio Hotel), visible on the far right side of the photograph, has been a fixture in downtown Youngstown for at least a decade. In 1912, a new building was built with 400 rooms at 131 West Boardman Street at the southwest corner of South Hazel Street. Before 1947, the name was changed to the Pick-Ohio Hotel, and while having always been an excellent hotel, was now one of the Albert Pick Hotels; famous for hospitality and service and complete with convention and banquet facilities. Since the early 1980's, the building has been home to the Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority. Renamed Amedia Plaza, the 12-story building, which houses YMHA’s corporate offices, also features 92 senior apartments managed by YMHA. Renovations costing $6 million dollars were completed in 2002 by architects Ricciuti Balog & Partners which replaced windows, lighting and plumbing, and updated the heating and cooling system, making the building more energy efficient. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F03_048_001 Subjects
: Hotels--United States; Foundries--United States; Railroad stations--Ohio; Churches, Methodist; Pick, Albert, 1895-1977 Places
: Youngstown (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)